.275 to .257?

JC275

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but....I have an old Westley Richards .275 (7x57/7mm Mauser) Mauser actioned sported that I no longer use, I have tried to sell it but have had no interest. I have been considering buying a lightweight, unmoderated stalking rifle, possibly a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts but I have heard variable reviews. What do people think about the idea of having the WR rebarreled into .257? JC

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but....I have an old Westley Richards .275 (7x57/7mm Mauser) Mauser actioned sported that I no longer use, I have tried to sell it but have had no interest. I have been considering buying a lightweight, unmoderated stalking rifle, possibly a Kimber Montana in .257 Roberts but I have heard variable reviews. What do people think about the idea of having the WR rebarreled into .257? JC

Ps, obviously the title should be .275 to .257 but the combination of IPad and sausage fingers isn't great!

If the barrels shot then yes rebarrel it but otherwise why not just use it as is??

If the barrels shot then yes rebarrel it but otherwise why not just use it as is??

It's fun to shoot but I've never really been able to get great accuracy out of it, this could be down to a number of factors. I like the idea of a classic rifle with a modern, accurate barrel, I just want to here other people's opinions before I take the idea further. JC

It's fun to shoot but I've never really been able to get great accuracy out of it, this could be down to a number of factors. I like the idea of a classic rifle with a modern, accurate barrel, I just want to here other people's opinions before I take the idea further. JC

There's more to accuracy than just the barrel , get it looked at by a competent riflesmith and if you do get it rebarreled 7x57 is a great calibre but so is 6.5x55 which would also fit?

There's more to accuracy than just the barrel , get it looked at by a competent riflesmith and if you do get it rebarreled 7x57 is a great calibre but so is 6.5x55 which would also fit?

6.5x55 is an interesting idea, thanks. I like the 7x57 as a calibre but found it problematic to reload for, cases from different makers requiring different shell holders etc, to be honest, although I am a competent and experienced reloader, I have lost interest in it. If I could just sell the rifle then I probably would and I have no real need to replace it as I have several other rifles but if I have to keep it thenI would like to use it.

I have a 7x57 and it is the most accurate and easy to reload for rifle I own. It's built in a Sako L691 action and has a pacnor select match barrel. I am surprised by your experience and I would agree with the previous opinion to have the rifle checked before you take any other action. The cartridge is amazing both in its accuracy and stopping power and, I would guess, a far superior proposition than the .257Bob.

One of the other issues maybe that it may not be as straight forward to rebarrel such a classic action, unless, perhaps, westley-Richards still exists and they can do it for you. Of course this is a question for the gunsmiths in the forum.

Best wishes

Finman

My Mauser custom 7x57 has been my No.1 favorite rifle for over 30 years. It is deadly accurate and consistent. I have one load that I use in it utilizing a Speer 145 grain Flat Base and it has killed everything I have pointed it at with a single shot; including three large deer last fall with the closest being 160 yards. I haven't even adjusted the scope in over two decades. I wouldn't be without my 7x57.

The rebarrel to the Bob would be a very straight forward procedure. I have built several 257R and 257 Ackley rifles on 7x57 chassis with no modifications. I like the Bob but I like the 7x57 better.~Andrew

1349595096[/url]' post='133454']

Fascinating. If one wanted to get work done on an classic rifle like this, who would the Forum recommend getting the work done by? Thanks JCS

I think our very own Alan Wey would be more than qualified, as the only 'real' gunsmith, in the traditional sense of the word on here . Other wise there's TT proctor, Ron Wharton, Gibbs etc etc... Just steer clear of the bigger names like Westley Richards, Purdey, H&H etc as most of them couldn't light their own farts these days without using skilled out workers like those I have already mentioned, not to mention charging you royally for the pleasure of arranging the work.

I think our very own Alan Wey would be more than qualified, as the only 'real' gunsmith, in the traditional sense of the word on here . Other wise there's TT proctor, Ron Wharton, Gibbs etc etc... Just steer clear of the bigger names like Westley Richards, Purdey, H&H etc as most of them couldn't light their own farts these days without using skilled out workers like those I have already mentioned, not to mention charging you royally for the pleasure of arranging the work.

Thanks Paddy, just had a look at Alan Wey's website, I think that I better give him a call on Monday.

Thanks Paddy, just had a look at Alan Wey's website, I think that I better give him a call on Monday.

Hi,

Just seen your post. I love working on Classic British rifles, PM me with your contact details and I will call you!

Best regards

Alan

Archived