short barrel

gunnery

Hi all just testing the water i have a .20tac love this cal very accurate and easy to load and shoot but it as a pacnor 26"barrel 1-9 twist shooting 40grn v-max great as we all know and works well but it is a pain when shooting out of truck window with mod on end of barrel this rifle is classed as my foxing rifle so i want to know if the barrel was chopped to lets say 20" plus mod on end of barrel would this effect the accuracy i know i will proberly lose some mv is this right and what are your veiws on this also what would be the cost to have it chopped down and screw cut again thanks all replys and comments welcome.

Hi all just testing the water i have a .20tac love this cal very accurate and easy to load and shoot but it as a pacnor 26"barrel 1-9 twist shooting 40grn v-max great as we all know and works well but it is a pain when shooting out of truck window with mod on end of barrel this rifle is classed as my foxing rifle so i want to know if the barrel was chopped to lets say 20" plus mod on end of barrel would this effect the accuracy i know i will proberly lose some mv is this right and what are your veiws on this also what would be the cost to have it chopped down and screw cut again thanks all replys and comments welcome.

Hi,

I used to have a 26" barrel on my 20ppc, like you I found it too long for a foxing rifle. I did a bit of research and have now got a 17" Bartlein barrel !! I have lost about 150fps and its shooting 39gr blitzkings at around 3800fps with 5 shot groups of between .1 and .25 moa. Zeroed 1" high at 100yards the drop at 300 is 2.5" The furthest fox I have shot was about 4 weeks ago at 520 yards, although this was on one of those rare evenings with no wind!!

Chopping the barrel has had no effect on accuracy at all, if anything its improved the barrel harmonics, I would have no hesitation in advising you to go down to 20" as the .20tac is a more efficient cartridge than the 20ppc. As a uk fox rifle the 20calibres do not need long barrels.

Hope this helps, if you need to know anything else just ask.

ATB.

Nick

Been running a 20Tac for about 4 years now with a 22" tube, always wondered why so many people spec'd a 26" barrel on a cartridge that only burns about 23grn of powder, that and the fact they're bloody hard to get in and out of a vehicle with by the time you put a mod on.Chop away gunnery you won't loose any accuracy for sure.

Mike

Not a 20tac I know but had my 243 chopped earlier this year 26'' pacnor down to 22'' I like you was wondering if it was the right thing to do! But it is as accurate as it was before and I have noticed no difference shooting at longrabge!!

Rob

I actually have a 20Tac with a 20" Pacnor barrel, the accuracy is stunning, even when load developing it never shot anything over 0.5".

The only thing you will loose is some velocity, I can only get to 3500fps before getting pressure signs using 39gr Sierra BK's and RL10X, I seen claims of people getting 3800 fps with the same bullet and barrel length, but I can't get anywhere close to that.

Archived