"Commander's Legs"

brown dog

Cpl Jones ordered three of his men to fix bayonets before breaking cover and leading them across 80 metres of open ground raked by enemy fire.

"I asked them if they were happy. They were all quite young lads and the adrenalin was racing. I shouted follow me and we went for it. I got 'Commander's Legs' on and was going very quickly. I realised I'd left them behind a bit so had to slow down and was engaged again, so I organised my guys who started attacking the enemy firing points,"

– Corporal Sean Jones MC

Brilliant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9571522/Soldier-who-led-Afghanistan-bayonet-charge-into-hail-of-bullets-honoured.html

Cpl Jones ordered three of his men to fix bayonets before breaking cover and leading them across 80 metres of open ground raked by enemy fire.

"I asked them if they were happy. They were all quite young lads and the adrenalin was racing. I shouted follow me and we went for it. I got 'Commander's Legs' on and was going very quickly. I realised I'd left them behind a bit so had to slow down and was engaged again, so I organised my guys who started attacking the enemy firing points,"

– Corporal Sean Jones MC

Brilliant.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/afghanistan/9571522/Soldier-who-led-Afghanistan-bayonet-charge-into-hail-of-bullets-honoured.html

It filled me with pride reading the account over my morning porridge; the bayonet has been probably one of the most under used resources in the modern infantry mans armoury, and yet here it was being used to its full potential.

Congratulations to Cpl Jones and Rfn Wilson for their bravery under fire, both MC's profoundly deserved.

I also noticed on another page in the Telegraph were its use could have been employed to good affect but wasn't avaliable, but that's enough about a 30 year old maths teacher.....

Archived