TR140 powder

gunnery

Hi all i shot the 200yrd f-class at Diggle Sat and while i was there i was speaking to my mate Brian (Auntie Wainwright)about buying Vit 140 and he showed me some new powder TR140 which he said is every bit as good but cheaper about a tenner or so. so to the point as anyone tryed this powder yet and is it as good as Vit140 and what kind of MVs are you getting or have i just been (Auntie Wainwrighted)thanks.

I have a pot to try. Initially 45-46 gns shoot very well with either 155 Lapua Scenars or 155 Palma match.

I've not had time to put them over the chrono yet.

I would think if nothing else it will make an excellent plinking powder.

Just one note though the powder has a very unusual smell?

Cheers

Dave.

Hi all i shot the 200yrd f-class at Diggle Sat and while i was there i was speaking to my mate Brian (Auntie Wainwright)about buying Vit 140 and he showed me some new powder TR140 which he said is every bit as good but cheaper about a tenner or so. so to the point as anyone tryed this powder yet and is it as good as Vit140 and what kind of MVs are you getting or have i just been (Auntie Wainwrighted)thanks.

Laurie Taylor tested TR140 in Target Shooter,two editions ago,in some detail for 223/77g and 308/155g-And listed the velocities,ES and SD for both TR140 and V140,in his usual methodical way,and concluded,at least for these two calibres/bullets, ''TR140 and V140 perform similarly,are very close in fact''....eg 155 sierra 47.2 g powder: V140 2877 fps/SD 17 fps ,TR140 2898 fps/SD18fps and these would be typical of the similarity found.As ever ,Laurie has done an excellent job for us,but do read the full article,or at least the short part at the end(pp58/59) ,on these two powders,and take the usual care.

george

I found it seemed to produce a relatively large amout of visible gas discharge at the muzzle coupled with an acrid smell. As for the velocities it produced, I do not yet know but it was handloaded ammo supplied with a 6.5x47 which did prove accurate.

TR140 seems slightly slower than N140, works well with .308 155's and 185's (I was talking to someone only today who shot a ten string 1000 yard sub 1/2MOA group at Bisley) It also works well with .223 73 grain Bergers and is certainly does not seem as dirty as N540 to me in my rifle.

I like it and only wish I could use it in more of my rifles.

I Davy what about the smell what members have spoke about and would you load same amount of powder as vit 140 I was using 46grn vit 140 in my ai 308

I have not really noticed the smell. load wise for the 155 I cannot tell you what is going to work for your rifle however I have used just over 46 grains in my AI and this is what the importer says.

I would work up to whatever works for you regardless of what you read.

TR140.jpg

Hi All

I have used about 7 canisters of TR140 this year in practice and in Fclass league

My findings bang for buck the BEST powder on the market.

I have tried N140 and Varget and can't improve performance

With BERGER HYBRID155 using 30" Bartlein Lapau CCI BR Primers and 46.0 g gives me 3000 at 60f with ES of 7 fps

I have not noticed a differnent smell

But then again when I am getting recoil therapy I dont give or smell for Shiite :-)

Great forum btw

Archived