Midland Gamefair

MOOSE

Hi, I was at the gamefair yesterday and spotted a dedicated Schmidt & Bender stall on gun makers row, I went in and asked what was the story with supply to civvy street in the UK.

I offered my opinion to the rep that the way they treated the UK civvy market for the last while was less than satisfactory.

When I told him that I was less than impressed with the outcome of my search for a 3-20 pm11 over a 6 month period, he assured me that they really valued the civvy market and was very sorry to hear that I had bought a rival product.

When I asked who was the UK main dealer now, he was a bit evasive and told me I could buy their products from a number of UK outlets.

When pushed about delivery times now for a 3-20 pm11, he estimated if ordered now it should be here for Xmas - so 3-4 months.

He gave me his business card and asked that I get in touch with him if I had any problem getting S & B products, his email is (t.pehlke@schmidt-bender.de) Thomas Pehlke - Marketing & Sales.

Does this mean they have caught up with production on their military contracts ?

I have to say he did seem genuine, if you are going to the fair today why not call on him and see for yourself and maybe offer him your opinion on their UK marketing

Boy have they dropped the ball.

Kicking a sound dealer network into touch which had some very reputable companies under it , in favour of a sole UK distributor in York guns was a very bad move [not that there is anything wrong with York guns ].

York now seem to have backed off somewhat, i dont know why, and coupled with the suicidal decision on schmidt,s part to ignore the civvy market for a while has done their product massive harm here.

I was looking for a new tactical scope, and considered a s/h schmidt, but changed my mind.

I,m going with a march, because its lighter, smaller and cheaper. Its also is the equal of the schmidt, if not better for the role i want it for, plus it has an excellent dealer here.

I own nothing but schmidt scopes but doubt i will buy another, zeiss snd swarovski have the top end hunting market covered and likewise for march too with tactical and target scopes to boot as well. If schmidt couple poor availability with similar customer service their has their day passed?

Zeiss have glass that is meant to be a bit better than S&B , BUT overal glass is just 1 requirement of a LR scope , it has to have reliable & well thought out turrets & alot of available adjustment etc , and THATS where the Zeiss let themselves down , big time , Zeiss are fine if you donot intend to dial the knobs up & down , ie zero and not adjust , as the std Zeiss knobs are not UP to the task of repeated turnings etc , and thats what alot of European shooters have found out .

I feel the Mil Zeiss or Henys , hopefully should have knobs that are better than the std Zeiss target knobs , you woulkd hope so for the price ?

Later Chris

Zeiss customer service is second to swarovski, in my experience. Nice scopes though, considering one myself. If i'd have a pm2 if i could find the right one at the right price....

Archived