rimfire set up

jeffo223

I have swapped my scopes around on my rifles and now my sako quad has the scope my 223 did have on. My question is that I have put it on today but I am unable to fully zero in at 100 yrds as I have run out of up adjustment on the scope , the scope is a docter 3-12x56 with 30mm tube, what's reccomend to sort the problem out . Paul .

The objective lens is 56mm and is quite close to the barrel,how do you shim a base? And would that work? Paul .

I meant how low is your group in relation to the aim point?

What type of bases do you have , that will dictate how or if you can shim? And yes shimming the scope will give you more elevation , or alternatively you will need to remove material from the front mount to angle the scope down more which will raise the muzzle and poi , you don't need a specific amount you just need to get into your scopes adjustment?

The rifle is shooting to high by about 2 inches @ 100yrds with the scope maxed out on elevation . Paul .

then you need to come down 2moa or 8 clicks (1/4 min) for your zero ? are you sure your turning the scope the correct way different makes turn in different directions for up/down?

have you tried swapping the mounts around? sometimes works. if you are looking at shims or some other way to adjust it you need to lift the front up, not the back, IF your impact is high with elevation on minimum.

I am turning the scope the right way , like rabbit fingers says I think I will have to shim the front mount so I can lower the bullet strike down . Paul .

ok if your sure ? it's rare that you have too much elevation it's usually the opposite !

it does however mean that you will have loads left to get out a long way without having to aim off!

I have swapped my scopes around on my rifles and now my sako quad has the scope my 223 did have on. My question is that I have put it on today but I am unable to fully zero in at 100 yrds as I have run out of up adjustment on the scope , the scope is a docter 3-12x56 with 30mm tube, what's reccomend to sort the problem out . Paul .

Burris Signature Rings are one place to go, another is to install a rail. I find mounting scopes a continuing pain. I am gradually moving towards rails on my rifles. See the following urls.

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p2948-remington-700-sa-in-260-rem.html

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/gallery/member-galleries/p4428-russell-gall-243-ackley-improved.html

Once upon a time it took me five months and 3 different 'riflesmiths' who each couldn't fix my scope mounting problem. Be patient. Good luck. JCS

Archived