accuracy versus velocity

weejohn

Target was shot at 100yds lying on the grass with a right to left breeze and rifle is a 6x47lapua with 105 amax.

Just really after your opinions on what you look for in a load.

I know everyones requirements will be different depending what you shoot but i am mostly

vermin and deer so i like to push the bullets nice and fast.

I have attached a copy of my last target where i have been trying to make up a load with N560

instead of RL17 as my rifle shoots best with a hot load and is quite hard on the brass.

As you can see the N560 shoots really well but unfortunately the velocity is WAY down

on the RL17, a massive 350 fps less on the 40gr N560 compared to the 39.9gr RL17 which i

currently use. Accuracy wise the RL17 shoots somewhere between the 40.3 and 40.6 N560 load.

I have loaded up more rounds at the higher end hoping there is another accuracy node above 3000fps.

I know these are only 3 shot groups but that is how i first work up my loads and ES appears to be much better than the RL17 load.

Any comments or suggestions will be welcome.

N560JPEG.jpg

Hi John,

Try a different powder. H4350 or imr4350 provide the best of both workds for this cartridge.

Mine shoots in the .1's low .2's at 3070fps.

If you want more velocity go with a bigger case. This load is near max in my rifle!

Garry

JOHN- my 6x47 iv just switched to 105 berger hybrids with a br4 primer and 39.4gns elco 17[this is rel17]over the chrono im getting 3220fps avg shot that recipe at diggle in the 600yd ,the other week and won the f-open class.

from my load development over the last few months i know the 105,s like to be pushed along a bit at over 3100fps,the accuracy is beyond 100yds test the loads at 300-400 that will tell you what you need to know.

as the usual these loads are safe in my rifle.

Garry and Gary, what length barrel are you both using ? I am guessing they are 28" or 30"

My barrel is 26".

Garry what charge weight are you using with 4350 ?

I am hoping to do more testing tomorrow if the wind is ok.

The RL17 load easily shoots sub 2" @ 500yrds on a nice day. (5 shot groups)

Garry and Gary, what length barrel are you both using ? I am guessing they are 28" or 30"

My barrel is 26".

Garry what charge weight are you using with 4350 ?

I am hoping to do more testing tomorrow if the wind is ok.

The RL17 load easily shoots sub 2" @ 500yrds on a nice day. (5 shot groups)

my bbl is @30" on a stolle action.

Archived