Sticky bolt but no fire!!!!!!

Tuck

Hello all just a quick one my freind has a 25-06 in a Remi 700 action, he has been having trouble with the bolt sticking even if he does not fire the rifle! Puts the bullet up as normal but even when he extracts a loaded round the bolt is so tight on the back pull. Brass has only been loaded twice with a moderate load!!! Any clues anyone else had this? The only thing I can think maybe cases need trimming but just seems funny this has started all of a sudden! Any help as usal always appreciated!

Rob

Ok,

then it sounds like his resize die is not set up correctly, get a shoulder bump gauge and adjust the die so it pushes the shoulder back .002 from fired dimension.

It is a ackley if that makes a difference dan?! So you think he needs to bump the shoulders! Even though the cases have only had one reload since fire form!!!

Nope the fact its an Ackley makes no difference. Cases should always be minimally full length sized after each firing, bumping the shoulder back .001-.002 this ensures that every cartridge will chamber correctly and you will get consistent chamber pressures and POI. The problem with the neck sizing fad is that you may get 2-3 firings without problems, but then you have to bump your shoulders to fit the chamber again, these rounds are now in effect being fire formed, which as i said earlier is no good if your goal is ultimate accuracy and consistency.

Thanks dan! Why do you think ths has started now all of a sudden! He's had the rifle since last autum and gas not changed anything in his reloading routine.

Rob

Thanks dan! Why do you think ths has started now all of a sudden! He's had the rifle since last autum and gas not changed anything in his reloading routine.

Rob

If the chamber has been cut quite tight you will not get many firings before you have to at least partially FL size, my 22-250 would only do a max of 2 firings before the brass would not chamber.

Get him to follow Dan's advice, I now use a Redding FL die set to just bump the shoulder back a couple of thou after each fiiring and have had no problems.

Does the generic 'last straw' thoery apply? If anything has strict tolerances,eventually these may well be exceeded-at the critical point-'suddenly'-though the sensible camel should spit and groan first.Usually bolts get quite sticky,warning maybe only one round to go,if you are lucky--and you ignore this warning at your peril,but they don't have to!Some have suggeste this is true of things as different as petrol tanks and wives,but I digress...

Thanks all will pass the MSG on hopefully will solve his problem! Hatzi I can only presume you must have been born with all you know!!!!! I'm sure he is well aware of f/l sizing, but chooses not to, as do I with my 243 ackley!

Rob

Archived