E-Tac in Mallorca

ejg223

Received this picture from a customer in Mallorca today.

It didn't need any text.

Jaime, had a conventional composite stock on his RH40 which just proved too heavy in the hills when

after goats. We converted an ultra light carbon E-Tac to take the 308 LW Polygon barrelled Howa and

fitted a mag system. First blood on the RH40/E-Tac went to a 625m goat.

lafoto3.jpg

edi

• 4 weeks later...

What does the e-tac cost

Base price for Rem 700 SA BDL inlet Carbon Ultra Light E-Tac with adjustable cheek, recoil pad fitted, swivel studs fitted

and single colour Duracoat. = 765,- Euro

Flush cups, long action inlet or mag system fitting available.

edi

Practical note; Yes they do!!!

''Vertically'?-I don't think so-no horizontal distance travelled-it was meant as a joke about the extreme angle in the photo,tough enough without having to read your data cards too. Strictly speaking,rifles do not shoot high,what happens is the shooter adjusts ,compared to his zero, for what he thinks the range is,'as the rabbit runs from shooting position to target'-'as the crow flies',might be closer to what we actually need,but we can't measure that. But the actual drop,and thus proper correction,is the horizontal distance,as in the the triangle pictures,which is always less,much less as the angle gets more acute,and at vertical,its zero.(It's actually the same as overestmating range on the flat,and clicking up too much,to compensate ie over compensate).You could of course,at this point(vertical) just drop the rifle if you lack conviction about the physics,and it will hit the target,unless the wind moves it on the way down(rifle or target!).Let's not consider which bayonet is best for goats,but it should be fixed to the heavy end of the rifle,and pointing down.

Simples!

george

Its the same uphill of downhill, its all to do with the effect of gravity over the horizontal distance the bullet travels.

uphill_shooting_angles.jpg

The distance the bullet travels is not important, the important figure is the "HORIZONTAL" distance the bullet travels because its over this distance that gravity effects the bullets trajectory.

EG.

You could be shooting from a building 1000m high but if the target is directly below you there is no need to allow for bullet drop because gravity wouldn't have any effect on the bullets trajectory.

Obviously windage is a different issue and is based on the total distance the bullet travels.

EG.

You could be shooting from a building 1000m high but if the target is directly below you there is no need to allow for bullet drop because gravity wouldn't have any effect on the bullets trajectory.

This would be true only for the fact that you are looking through a scope which is 2" above your bore line. If you aimed at a spot 1000m vertically below you your SIGHT LINE IS VERTICAL, NOT THE PATH OF THE BULLET. If your rifle were zero'd at 100m the bullet would cross the sight line there or there abouts but it would keep on "climbing" above the sight line as gravity is no longer pulling it back to cross the sight line as it would if it were fired at a shallower angle. If the bullet makes up the 2" gap between muzzle and sight line in 100m it would strike very roughly 18" above the reticle centre on the 12o'clock stadia at 1000m. If it were zeroed for 1000m horizontally its about 14" high at 100m and 140" "high" at the bottom of your building. Or put another way if you took your 100m zero and dialled in to be just about 2moa low your bore line and sight line are roughly parallel and you'll hit 2" from your aiming point. At 1000m I'd take that any day! :rolleyes: But as George said, why waste ammo, just drop something heavy!!

Mike

Its the same uphill of downhill, its all to do with the effect of gravity over the horizontal distance the bullet travels.

uphill_shooting_angles.jpg

The distance the bullet travels is not important, the important figure is the "HORIZONTAL" distance the bullet travels because its over this distance that gravity effects the bullets trajectory.

EG.

Obviously windage is a different issue and is based on the total distance the bullet travels.

Absolutely,and 'vertically' includes directly above(up) or directly below(down).

george

Base price for Rem 700 SA BDL inlet Carbon Ultra Light E-Tac with adjustable cheek, recoil pad fitted, swivel studs fitted

and single colour Duracoat. = 765,- Euro

Flush cups, long action inlet or mag system fitting available.

edi

That's the problem with texts and posts, the written word tends to be taken literally and sometimes something written in jest is taken entirely the wrong way. At best it sparks a debate that wasn't warranted at worst people can be offended when none was intended!

Mike

PS We have some cliffs on our deer permission, and whilst you can't get 1000m vertical you can get about 150m, and trust me, when you're hanging over the edge like the guy in the photo it brings a whole different buzz to the shot!

That's the problem with texts and posts, the written word tends to be taken literally and sometimes something written in jest is taken entirely the wrong way. At best it sparks a debate that wasn't warranted at worst people can be offended when none was intended!

Mike

PS We have some cliffs on our deer permission, and whilst you can't get 1000m vertical you can get about 150m, and trust me, when you're hanging over the edge like the guy in the photo it brings a whole different buzz to the shot!

Thanks Mike,absolutely no offence taken.

I was assuming a normal zero at 100 metres ,but I actually know that cliff in Mallorca very well indeed,and it is exactly 100 metres high.I can well imagine the 'buzz'' you mention,and on a good day I'd suggest it's the 'cranial coreolis' acceleration effect,but I think I'll just go down to the local and get Brahms and Litz-ed instead.

george

Hi George,

don' think it's the 'cranial coreolis' acceleration effect, think it's the ' F*ck me that's high, hope i don't slip ' effect

myself. Whatever it is my arz is going like a rabbits nose when I'm doing it!

Mike

Hi George,

don' think it's the 'cranial coreolis' acceleration effect, think it's the ' F*ck me that's high, hope i don't slip ' effect

myself. Whatever it is my arz is going like a rabbits nose when I'm doing it!

Mike

Ok guys,

target was small, at 280 metres. I had lost my ACI the week before in the mountains ( found it later) ; dope said 15 1/10 mils for that distance (178amax) , and considering- as someone has pointed out- that I was not too comfortable, made a "mental guess" adjustment and used 5 1/10 mils elevation, and the shot was dead on.

As for the Etac.. I can only praise that stock. I have extensively used an A3 and an MCST.. the Etac is in a different league.

BTW , new to this nice forum.

Welcome Gyr.

You live in a beautifull part of the World.

If you gets away from where the Drunken British go Mallorca is fantastic.

The drive down the Ma-10 from Pollenca to Andratx is stunning. Also the drive to the Lighthouse at Cap Fermentor tests your nerve :lol::wacko: .

We stay in a place called Betlam.

I take my hat off to you Hunting that Terrain in that Heat. I am not nearly fit enough.

Nick.

Archived