ruger gunsite scout

sako

Looks awesome.

Thought it might make a good 300y plinker/backup stalking rifle and a Good review on gun mart.

Any one got one or tried one ?

A bit OT, but has anyone read a 'bad' review in GunMart?? Unless there was one in the past five years since I last read it...

Best wishes

Finman

A bit OT, but has anyone read a 'bad' review in GunMart?? Unless there was one in the past five years since I last read it...

Indeed, or come to that, a rifle that won't shoot 1/2" groups at 100 yards with factory ammo. :rolleyes:

Picking up my lefty model this week, altogether a 10 month wait .I will report back

I read a review in the Swat magazine late last year,seems to be a rugged all rounder and it was doing moa with 168 g Blackhills ammo

Must admit they do nothing for me as for a stalking rifle I'd rather use a homemade bow and arrow

rob

Is it legal to use a bow and arrows on deer or do you take it abroad?

I read at least one US report on this rifle that had to work very hard NOT to say something bad about it. Accuracy was listed as "acceptable for hunting" which can mean anything. They mostly harped on it's "cool" factor.~Andrew

Looks awesome.

Thought it might make a good 300y plinker/backup stalking rifle and a Good review on gun mart.

Any one got one or tried one ?

I don't think there are any 'bad' rifles in production.But..

As a PLINKER-$999,and $70 for magazine-there are lots of other choices perhaps-the 16.5 barrrle won't be much fun,and the flash hider is non sense-a moderator mifht reduce the rather barky recoil/blast/noise-better get a good one-there will be a lot af hot stuff at the muzzle.

As a STALKER-a couple of USA tests have managed about 1+ minute of angle at 100yards,but more like 4 inches with out a scope...You might want -even so-to replace the 10 round mag with a five so you can carry one handed-you shouldn't need 10 shots anyhow.There are of course very many other options.

As a SCOUT:better than the Savage?better than the Steyr??Better than lots of other options??? Jeff Cooper was impressed by the Rem 600,the Manlicher Scoenauer(designed in 1910),and the Win 94.We don't need to accept his criteria-enough fire power-he actually just says energy-for Dear sized meat,and 'hostile hobgoblin' self defense to about 300 yards.If you think such a survivalist scenario is likely after some apocalypse,so be it (I don't).308 becomes a sensible choice too,as its more likely to be around-but so is 30/30 in east states,or AK47 widely,ot even 223. Money should not be a factor-if you believe-survival after all isn't a luxury extra (UK affectionados might have some FAC issues to resolve,in terms of ammo possesed!).I'd be quite happy to have the Ruger Scout back at the cave/cabin,with lots of loaded magazines(some reviewers found then very awkward to load).I'd prefer to carry something else.I had two Rem 600s rigged with IER scopes-not sure that works much better than iron sights, would much prefer a box detachable magazine though,or the superb M/S rotary mag,or some other system-the lever action has much to commend it,and yes,there have been 308s if you must have that.

Given sensible planning-half the fun,of course,esp if it's not too serious-there is a wide choice.What do we learn,if anything ,from actual survival situations?Innuit eskimoes use 222rem-light,accurate and just fine for their limited,but vital,purposes.Alaskan guides won't be trading in their lever action winchesters in 450 alaskan for the ruger,-they of course can't paddle away from the big bears.East african poacher use whatever they can,and lots of game is taken,and people shot (at)-survival or what? Generic AR 15/10 are much touted,and have merit-I would not throw away a Mini 30 if I came across one,foraging around! The British have been there too,as usual,,and they had a 30 cal,10 shot mag jungle carbine,seriously survival oriented.The American lever action,in a variety of calibres,has been reasonably effective against hostile native americans,and taken more game than anything else.You could do worse.There were not always choices,of course.But there was a lot of survival.Most 'survival' gear is probably bought by 'wannabe,maybe'urban warriors-who sensibly enough-have absolutely no intention of putting themselves/equipment to the test,alone in dangerous Walmart free wildernesses.But it's fun to think about the options,and there is no absolutely unique right answer,though probably quite a few fatally flawed ones.Whatever floats you boat,as Noah was careful not to say!Let's be grateful we don't have to find out for real.But some actual data in from Ruger users would do no harm.

The great Warren Page-often involved in which is best debates- once quoted ''it's differences of opinion that make for horse races'',and forums-but Caeasar might not agree!

george

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think there are any 'bad' rifles in production.But..

As a PLINKER-$999,and $70 for magazine-there are lots of other choices perhaps-the 16.5 barrrle won't be much fun,and the flash hider is non sense-a moderator mifht reduce the rather barky recoil/blast/noise-better get a good one-there will be a lot af hot stuff at the muzzle.

As a STALKER-a couple of USA tests have managed about 1+ minute of angle at 100yards,but more like 4 inches with out a scope...You might want -even so-to replace the 10 round mag with a five so you can carry one handed-you shouldn't need 10 shots anyhow.There are of course very many other options.

As a SCOUT:better than the Savage?better than the Steyr??Better than lots of other options??? Jeff Cooper was impressed by the Rem 600,the Manlicher Scoenauer(designed in 1910),and the Win 94.We don't need to accept his criteria-enough fire power-he actually just says energy-for Dear sized meat,and 'hostile hobgoblin' self defense to about 300 yards.If you think such a survivalist scenario is likely after some apocalypse,so be it (I don't).308 becomes a sensible choice too,as its more likely to be around-but so is 30/30 in east states,or AK47 widely,ot even 223. Money should not be a factor-if you believe-survival after all isn't a luxury extra (UK affectionados might have some FAC issues to resolve,in terms of ammo possesed!).I'd be quite happy to have the Ruger Scout back at the cave/cabin,with lots of loaded magazines(some reviewers found then very awkward to load).I'd prefer to carry something else.I had two Rem 600s rigged with IER scopes-not sure that works much better than iron sights, would much prefer a box detachable magazine though,or the superb M/S rotary mag,or some other system-the lever action has much to commend it,and yes,there have been 308s if you must have that.

Given sensible planning-half the fun,of course,esp if it's not too serious-there is a wide choice.What do we learn,if anything ,from actual survival situations?Innuit eskimoes use 222rem-light,accurate and just fine for their limited,but vital,purposes.Alaskan guides won't be trading in their lever action winchesters in 450 alaskan for the ruger,-they of course can't paddle away from the big bears.East african poacher use whatever they can,and lots of game is taken,and people shot (at)-survival or what? Generic AR 15/10 are much touted,and have merit-I would not throw away a Mini 30 if I came across one,foraging around! The British have been there too,as usual,,and they had a 30 cal,10 shot mag jungle carbine,seriously survival oriented.The American lever action,in a variety of calibres,has been reasonably effective against hostile native americans,and taken more game than anything else.You could do worse.There were not always choices,of course.But there was a lot of survival.Most 'survival' gear is probably bought by 'wannabe,maybe'urban warriors-who sensibly enough-have absolutely no intention of putting themselves/equipment to the test,alone in dangerous Walmart free wildernesses.But it's fun to think about the options,and there is no absolutely unique right answer,though probably quite a few fatally flawed ones.Whatever floats you boat,as Noah was careful not to say!Let's be grateful we don't have to find out for real.But some actual data in from Ruger users would do no harm.

The great Warren Page-often involved in which is best debates- once quoted ''it's differences of opinion that make for horse races'',and forums-but Caeasar might not agree!

george

Update ,I now have my mucky mitts on this rifleand after giving it a good clean I took it to the local range on Sunday to give it a run out.

I haven't done any specific loading for it yet and fed it several types of 308 fodder. The rifle seemed a bit ''notchy''at first but it is breaking in. I was pleasantly surprised 200yds 20 rounds and managed to keep them all in 1.25-1.5 moa after sighting in the 20 x Leupold scope.It can only improve though I never bought it or expected it to be a sub .5 moa rifle. I want it for the purpose of lightweight stalking/ comp/plinking rifle and I have the feeling it will excel at that..............I will update after rolling some tailor made ammo..

Archived