30-06 Bolt face

Will a 30-06 Bolt face (Tikka T3) work with a 308 Case. I have been offered a 30-06 with a MOD rusted barrel that I would like to re-barrel as a 6.5 x 47.

I know the magazine would need to be replaced, but as Tikka actions are all the same length, it seems possible.

Who's going to burst my bubble first?

Yep you won't have any probs rebarreling to 6.5x47. The .308 is a shortened version of .30.06 as far as i am aware. I would keep the longer mag it will allow to use VLD bullets if you want to.

ATB SEAN

Yep you won't have any probs rebarreling to 6.5x47. The .308 is a shortened version of .30.06 as far as i am aware. I would keep the longer mag it will allow to use VLD bullets if you want to.

ATB SEAN

Thanks both. Looks like a plan.

ATB SEAN

Yep a .308 is a necked down version of the 30.06 Springfield cartridge but with slightly different shoulder angels :blink:

Jim

Yep a .308 is a necked down version of the 30.06 Springfield cartridge but with slightly different shoulder angels :blink:

Jim

Jim. The .308 Win uses the same diameter of bullet as .30-06 so it isn't necked down at all. Here's a little story about the origins of the .308.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/history-30-80-wcf-origin-of-308.html

Regards JCS

Jim. The .308 Win uses the same diameter of bullet as .30-06 so it isn't necked down at all. Here's a little story about the origins of the .308.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/history-30-80-wcf-origin-of-308.html

Regards JCS

My mistake JCS i'd meant to say case shortened not necked down. That's what happens when your having a conversation with someone in your house about .243 and .308 and which all have derived from the 30.06 and being on the forum at the same time and NOT paying attention!!!. Cheers for pointing out my error :)

Jim

Why not re barrel in 260 or 260 AI and have the rifle throated long so you can seat the bullets long and use the extra mag length you will have ? You should be able to easily beat the 'jonny come lately' 6.5x47 then ! (well velocity anyway?)

Big Deal!

Life is too short to worry about things like that and its why God made made Gunsmiths.:P:) .

Nick.

Ha i wish I had the money to have barrel burners! But it an expensive enough hobby for me as is :wacko:

Ha i wish I had the money to have barrel burners! But it an expensive enough hobby for me as is :wacko:

Danny.

On a serious note what you say is a fair point. The 6.5x284 has a less accurate lifespan. I use one for Stalking so 1000+ is a lot of shooting. Not sure just what the OP wants the 6.5 for though.

Also i have to go through life making sensible decisions that i have had to think through first. When it comes to my Shooting though sometimes i just let my Heart rule my Head and i think `sod it i want one`. I want a 257 Weatherby, a 7mm Ultramag, a 30-378. not because they make sense but because they would be a hoot.;):D .

Nick

Ha my voice of conscience is the wife! Your totally right for pure stalking 1000 rounds is plenty but if you use em for any target work aswel that's a very short life I'd burn that out in a year! If I can ever afford it I'd love a straight 284 as there awesome in the wind and don't seem to be a barrel burner;)

Ha my voice of conscience is the wife! Your totally right for pure stalking 1000 rounds is plenty but if you use em for any target work aswel that's a very short life I'd burn that out in a year! If I can ever afford it I'd love a straight 284 as there awesome in the wind and don't seem to be a barrel burner;)

Danny.

What you need is a Slush Fund. I thought all Married Men had one.:D

Fair point you make about Target Shooting and Barrel life.

Nick.

Ha I do ok but I've had shed loads of car dramas in the last few months so that's REALLY screwed up my gun fund! Yeah the range work really does up the round count. I did about 120 rounds yesterday at the Carlton moor range! :ph34r:

Archived