6.5 x 47 primer cratering problems.

baldie

Those days are gone. :D

Tested a Valkyrie in 6.5 x 47 on friday, with a load of 39 grains of reloder 15 and a 123 scenar. This is an absolute maximum load in every other rifle of this calibre i,ve ever shot.

Look at the pic.

IMG_1282.jpg

This is a valkyrie with a small diameter firing pin and hole. If requested at the build spec stage, its FOC.

NO cratering, and no primer flow to the primer hole edges either....just full primer support.

I also think the load could now be pushed some more.....the weak link would be the primer pocket now, i think.

Im using 39g of Varget in my BAT, that has a small diameter firing pin.

Just about max load, if I go higher, pockets start to suffer.

The load gives me 3000 fps with a 123 Scenar, accuracy is excellent

I used to load 39.3 of reloader 15 with a 123 scenar in my rpa action.

3010 fps but I now scince load imr4350 with a 130 berger at 2850 fps and accuracy and consistency is far better.

When I went over 39.3 I was starting to get sticky bolt lift, this was my only indication of pressure in the rpa so I settled at 39.3. This was a hot load in the summer and worked better in winter.

That's pretty interesting !!!

Ive been doing some load development over the weekend , and i suffered a pierced and cratered primers too .

I managed to get to 39gr of Varget pushing a 123gr Amax and any slight increase caused the primer isssue .... the case didnt look any worse for wear , just the primer cratered . Seem's like there is a decent solution if i need to push the powder up a bit more.

Cheer's !

P.S

Im amazed how accurate this calibre is !

Archived