Swapping scopes using QR mounts?

Guest richness

Guest richness

Guys I'm very impressed by a DVD Si lent me called The Art of the Precision Rifle and in it Todd Hodnett talks about these QR one piece scope mounts, and moving a scope between several rifle's picatinny rails with total confidence.

Is this reasonable practical? I don't mean an "easy-undo" mount like the leupold QR but a mount specifically designed to be moved and to maintain zero....

Any ideas and experiences on various types and makes and their use would be really interesting to hear, please and thank you

Richard Utting

PS look the vid up Magpul productions - The Art of the Precision Rifle. I don't agree with it all and it doesn't all apply to my area but all in all the man's methodology makes a lot of sense to me and the video has a level of technicality that kept me tuned in long after I would have got purely bored just watching hundreds of varmints exploding and steels ringing....

Guys I'm very impressed by a DVD Si lent me called The Art of the Precision Rifle and in it Todd Hodnett talks about these QR one piece scope mounts, and moving a scope between several rifle's picatinny rails with total confidence.

Is this reasonable practical? I don't mean an "easy-undo" mount like the leupold QR but a mount specifically designed to be moved and to maintain zero....

Any ideas and experiences on various types and makes and their use would be really interesting to hear, please and thank you

Richard Utting

PS look the vid up Magpul productions - The Art of the Precision Rifle. I don't agree with it all and it doesn't all apply to my area but all in all the man's methodology makes a lot of sense to me and the video has a level of technicality that kept me tuned in long after I would have got purely bored just watching hundreds of varmints exploding and steels ringing....

Drop Alan (sir-Slots) a pm, I know he regularly swaps his scopes over to NV using QR mounts HTH.

Nick.

Hi richness, both my tikkas have egw heavy duty picatinny rails and my scopes wear warne qd rings. Never noticed any change in poi what so ever. To attach I push firmly forward and fully tighten the front then the back, to detatch I undo back then the front. These are not on a heavy recoiling calibre though (.22lr, .223, .22/250) I switch between a nf, a s&b, and digisight and always remove the scopes to get them in the cabinet and for cleaning and never had any bother with shift. I keep a record of the zeros for each rifle eg nf is zeroed for 160 yards on the 22/250 if I put it on the .223 bullet up 1.75 moa and right 0.5 moa it's bang on for 120 yards. Hope this helps. Simon

I use Leupold QR mounts and a picatinny rail with my Nightforce and Bushnell scopes that I have set up for an Archer NV, I swap them back and forth regularly with no zero shift but it's good practice to check zero when they are swapped over.

Andy

I swap mine around on sauers with Picatinny rails with very few problems and with one piece AI or Sako mounts I am happy to take them off and put them back on as long as they are zeroed to the rifle or I change the settings. QRWs seem to be very good, I think warnes are not so reliable. I went to Africa a couple of months ago and took a spare scope. Not happy with the first morning of shooting so switched to the spare and no problem at all.

Richard Utting

Rich, I think you're after these: http://www.laruetactical.com/lt120

we had a small chat about them here: http://ukvarminting.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14220

Definitely a neat concept - but I've no info on the reality.

Guest richness

Thanks everyone. I didn't realise that the 2piece QD mounts were anywhere near repeatable. Worth trying

BD I have looked at that other thread (thanks for the effort there) It does seem that Larue were the people to go for, primarily because they offer a 1piece solution which simply must help. I have also read up on a US forum that they only scrape the edge of the rail if the rail has a lightening slot cut down the centre - like NF and EGW, but a full solid pic rail is fine

I've emailed Larue and asked them to send me a set for review and comparison as i feel that could be an interesting test/review/article/whatever

If they won't, I'll probably stump up and get a set sent and review them anyway - the stakes are good; if this works I can sell a $2800 scope!

• 2 weeks later...

I've used 2 pc mounts to move scopes from rifle to rifle, within the same action length, and sometimes different calibers. Zero is close enough that just a few rounds and slight adjustment brings it back on.

I have one scope that seems to be the "tester", it's been moved around to at least 5 short actions and one long.

I've had good success with scopes maintaining zero as well, while using QR mounts. Seldom more than 1/2" variance between off and on.

Almost exclusively, I use Talley Mfg products http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/ except for picatinny mounts; I use Farrell http://www.kenfarrell.com/

I think both would ship to UK.

Archived