Windage adjustment

MikeT

Some while ago I bought two sets of Warne QR rings. one set 1" and the other in 30mm.

Today I decided to fit them and put the 30mm ones on a new Vortex Viper HS I had and the 1" ones on the Weaver Grand Slam that was on the the rifle with Burris rings. The rifle is a Rem 700 LVSF in .243.

I have just tried to bore sight both scopes on this rifle but have run out of windage on both. I had no problem with the old Burris rings that have been on there some while.

I have tried rotating the rings and fitting the QR leavers on the bolt side of the rifle on the 1" mounts holding the Weaver scope but all that does is swap the lack of adjustment to the opposite side.

Is there a way forward or do I have to ditch these rings and try another make. I guess the weaver bases are out of true.

Help please ................... I'm proper fed up.

Warne rings - I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole. I spent several hundred pounds trying to get a S&B scope mounted on my Mannlicher Pro-Hunter with std Warne rings. I had three different 'gun smiths' look at the rifle and they were all clueless. I suggest you go back to the Burris rings or get Burris Signature rings. Vertically splitting rings are I find very tricky to work with and offer limited scope for adjustment. Regards JCS

Are you using two piece bases ?

If so, bin them first and fit a one piece base. Two piece bases are usually cheaply made.

Its also not unknown for the remington holes to be out of line, though this is rare.

Fitted hundreds of pairs of Warne rings and very rarely had a problem with them. Cant say i like them, but they generally work.

Are you using two piece bases ?

If so, bin them first and fit a one piece base. Two piece bases are usually cheaply made.

Its also not unknown for the remington holes to be out of line, though this is rare.

Fitted hundreds of pairs of Warne rings and very rarely had a problem with them. Cant say i like them, but they generally work.

Baldie,

Yes, they are two piece.

I bought the Warne QR's some while ago as I fancied having a play with quick release rings to see if they actually worked and have only just got round to trying them.

What one piece rail would you suggest ?

On a better note and just to make you jealous, 4 weeks till Staghunting starts......can't wait.

Mike

MikeT,

I have also used Warne rings and never had a problem, although I have changed over now to Third eye tactical rings, excellent kit.

By the way Mike, if you need a hand clearing up some stags, please dont hesitate to PM me, :rolleyes: only ever stalked Roe. I also live in the Westcountry, nice and handy.

Cheers, Tony.

I have just bought some Third eye tactical rings ,not had chance to shoot the gun yet but the rings look great .

mick

Baldie,

Yes, they are two piece.

I bought the Warne QR's some while ago as I fancied having a play with quick release rings to see if they actually worked and have only just got round to trying them.

What one piece rail would you suggest ?

On a better note and just to make you jealous, 4 weeks till Staghunting starts......can't wait.

Mike

Any quality one piece rail will work Mike. I use the Third eye ones myself.

Check the movable claws on the mounts are seating properly as you tighten them too.

Which pack are you out with in 4 weeks ? :D

Any quality one piece rail will work Mike. I use the Third eye ones myself.

Check the movable claws on the mounts are seating properly as you tighten them too.

Which pack are you out with in 4 weeks ? :D

Thanks Dave, I will get some and check the seating as well.

I tend to go out with the Devon & Somerset and as our immediate area tends to hold stags as opposed to hinds we are fortunate in that we get several early season meets.

Tony,

As you will have gathered I was winding Dave up over the approaching hunting season. He is, if you didn't know, quite an aficionado. If I shot stags I would be more than happy to invite you. However, in my book there's only one way to take a stag and that's with a pack of hounds.

Thank you all for your replies.

Thanks Dave, I will get some and check the seating as well.

I tend to go out with the Devon & Somerset and as our immediate area tends to hold stags as opposed to hinds we are fortunate in that we get several early season meets.

Tony,

As you will have gathered I was winding Dave up over the approaching hunting season. He is, if you didn't know, quite an aficionado. If I shot stags I would be more than happy to invite you. However, in my book there's only one way to take a stag and that's with a pack of hounds.

Thank you all for your replies.

I think I must be getting old or something, doh. I think I know where you are going to be hunting for stags.

Tony.

Just to say thank you for the replies.

As suggested by Dave I ordered a mount from Third Eye Tactical which arrived yesterday. Fitted it this morning and problem cured. I'm a happy bunny !!.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Mike

Archived