getting into benchrest/f-class

Over here there is not much regards competition shooting mostly classic rifle comps, rimfire target etc and the odd sporting rifle but for ages now I have had a real notion of shooting benchrest or maybe F-Class but as far as I can find there are no such comps over here so I would have to travel over the water, initially this put me off but now I am starting to get desperate, I have always shot competetivley in rimfire target and classic rifle but these days I am more into precision rifle style shooting. Just wondering If I wanted to attend a benchrest comp over there with you guys can I simply travel over and shoot or do I need to join a club or something similar. I had a look at the UKBRA site and it would seem factory sporter would be the best way to start for me. I have been waiting to put in an variation for a new cal for a while and was tetering on the edge of having another vermin shooting type calibre and rifle built custom but if I started factory benchrest maybe a I would have to go for something stock from the factory. I was thinking maybe a Cooper in 6ppc would be great as they come from the factory pretty accurate, or are these strictly speaking considered factory and I could use it for foxys no bother as well (not that the tac20 needs any help, I just like owning guns). I was also thinking F-Class but it seems like most people use big bangers like 7mm wsm etc not the type of thing I am really into but having no experience competing in it maybe its real good fun, I dont know, also I have no experience at real long range and f-class seems to shoot at alot longer ranges (though I believe there are also becnhrest 600 comps and 1000 comps). All I know is that I like trying to shoot really small groups and thats seems to be what benchrest is all about. Any advice or opinions much appreciated.

Thanks

Craig, if you fancy a go at benchrest, you need to look at the diggle calender [the 2008 one will be published in a few days] here,s the link.

http://www.diggleranges.com/

100 yards benchrest is always shot on a saturday, and 1000 yards the next day [sunday] so it would be worth your while coming over for a full weekend.You can shoot at diggle as a guest, it will cost you a tenner a day range fees, and we have a bunkhouse on site which is £4 a night for visitors. There are showers and toilets, and a pub a mile away..........and all the sheep you can shag :lol: thats why darrel loves it so much, him being welsh ;) Infact, if you come via holyhead you can pick him up on the way!

Thanks for the info Baldie, sounds straight forward enough to turn up and shoot, I am not so into sheep these days though, I much prefer a goat as they just seem to struggle less :lol: , well at least if I dont pick anything up at the local pub there will be something to console me. I will have to look into what rife to buy now, I dont think a 6ppc would work so well at 1000 yards, though I am sure a good shooter could hold it straight enough at that distance but I will maybe need to look into something that can push a heavier bullet faster.

I know where there is a completed F-Class 7mm WSM for sale on a Barnard P action, - mate of mine :lol:

Check out this link and classifieds, look for Derek:

http://www.freewebs.com/fclassuk/stuffforsale.htm

Craigy,

I knew you were heading this way, what with all the BR related gadget topics you were posting.

One thing i will say if you do decide to take it up, dont put all your eggs in one basket and have BR as your only shooting sport like i did.

I sold up all my rifles and invested that and more into a complete HV benchrest outfit.

With no other style of shooting to do, continuously shooting tiny groups became monotanously boring to a stage where i did not enjoy it anymore, so i packed it in, sold up, lost a heap of money and went back to shooting more varied and fun disciplines.

Ian.

Thanks for the advice Ian, I will probably still shoot classic rifle and target rimfire at my club to give myself a bit of variation + all those long range crows that I chase constantly, I spent the best part of the day shooting crows with the cooper just ot the back of my house, nothched up a decnet tally, missed some real easy ones too though. I dont knwo if I will get into it really big hence why I will have a go at sporter class with a 6mmbr cooper or something similar that I can still use for deer etc.

I think the best thing to do is to take the TAC 20 and see how you get on, what the people are like and if you enjoy it before considering some heavier ironware. At the end of the day coming last is no dishonour as you dont have the 'right' kit but I suspect that TAC 20 may open a few eyes at 100 yards at least.

A

Hi graig,

Come along and have a go first to see if you like it???

Then at least you will know what it is going to cost every time you want to come over and have a go!!

I did not think that it would be long before you wanted to try it :o

Good bunch of lads, With a lot of knowlege to share!!!!!

As baldie said you can stay over the weekend!!!

And if you get bored you can chase some sheep aswell?????

Thats if you can run faster than me and baldie :D:(

All the best from wales Darrel ;)

Thanks Darrel I hopefully will get a crack at it sometime this year to see whats its all about, I was gonna buy a front rest before Christmas but changed my mind I might just buy one now as it looks like I may need it.

These velcro gloves, where can I get some they would be great when the sheep have been clipped in the summer I can still catch the buggers but its keeing hold of them for long enough thats the problem, those gloves would give me the time I need. :D

What ammo can you use for F class, has it to be target. ?

I know you are not supposed to use expanding ammo for other than hunting/vermin and zeroing etc

I dont have any target bullets at the moment but it looks interesting.

Redfox

Archived