remmy sps varmint 243

axel

Got myself a remmy sps varmint in 243, only used to 223 but i went for a change... anyway ive just been out to sight it in. with hornadys its within 2" at 100mts i hope to better this as the weather was bad. Also on my 223 i used a PES T12 so now i need some info on which mod to stick on this sps... feedback guys , also im looking at a nightforce 5x22x56 but which recticule ???? or shall i go with a swar.. 6x24x50.

Guest 308Panther

On the scopes...both are a good choice.

So choosing between the 2 may be difficult.

Take your time deciding.

And let your eyes make the decision...not your wallet.

Reticle choice is important too.

So make sure its one you can work with as the wrong

one can make life miserable for ya too,

Too thick and it makes long range work difficult

Too thin and its hard to see at night.

308Panther

You might want to check the stock out too. The SPS is a good barrel and action but is let down by the stock. The SPS (as other cheaper synthetic Remington stocks) are often found to flex when shot, which can have obvious effects. If it was my money I would spend less on the scope (go for a decent Leupold with the exchange rates as they are at present) and buy a decent stock and maybe get it bedded too whilst it's in.

Not being funny but, if you were aware of these problems how come you chose the SPS? :) As comparison, my Rem 700 VLS in .243Win shoots one hole shots at 100m...pretty much standard condition. :lol:

Not being funny but, if you were aware of these problems how come you chose the SPS? :) As comparison, my Rem 700 VLS in .243Win shoots one hole shots at 100m...pretty much standard condition. :lol:

wanted the action.... same as yours, i wanted a pss in 243 but could not find one so i got the sps and intend to change the stock add a better trigger .

you could fix that stock easy without having to buy a new one, just get a smith to open the channel to allow it to float with plenty of clearance and maybe put some sort of reinforcing alloy block or resin impregnate it to stiffin it, you just dont want to flexing upwards and touching the barrel at the forend when you put a bipod on. I would go with the swaro scope, I love my swaro the nightforce is good but optics are not as good as swaro, it also depends on what you need if, you need exposed target turrets, sidewheel focus and the bigger front lens then maybe the nightforce is the right choice, but if you prefer a slightly more understated looking scope that is a fair bit lighter go with the swaro IMO its a more long range varmint/all around hunting type scope for a rifle that still needs to be carried far and requires a slightly more simple setup, the Nightforce is a long range tactical scope though will double up as a great varmint scope.

Axel, at this point I'd say the stock is more important than the scope.

The SPS stock has one dissadvantage, it's made from a kind of

poly prop or so which is the same material as glue bottles are made of

to avoid anything gluing on. Bedding and epoxy reinforcing is very difficult.

If on a budget I would rather look out for an old walnut or laminated stock.

With these, even if battered up one can tidy up, make it suit your hand and

change cheek height by gluing pieces on. Bedding is easy. Maybe even glass/

carbon reinforce. Varnish or paint as you want.

I had a stock left over once and played around with it. Result stronger and lighter than

many composite stocks. And it's made to fit me with my scope height.

DSC02512.jpg

DSC02516.jpg

DSC02517.jpg

308sakoroedale.jpg

edi

Ejg223, nice job on that stock you wouldnt have thought from that first photo it would have turned out like that, very nice. Whats the rifle action in it?

Craig, its's an old 308 Sako L579 action that roedale rebarreld.

The original stock never fitted me right, tried a Laminated Sako stock

which was heavy and not comfortable. So I took chunks out of the

original walnut stock,added pieces, made it fit like a shotgun for snap shooting.

On the bench its also ok, but perfect for very quick coming up, the

cheek just falls into place. Outside it's a bit crude with the carbon but

any further finishing would have just made it heavier.

Action and trigger gaurd is pillar bedded.

Nice thing is in future this kind of stock can always be chopped and

changed.

edi

Axel, I have had sub MOA with my SPS in .243, you wont go far wrong with it mate!! Apparantly the stocks aren't great but I havent had any issues with mine, but hey, I dont use mine that often!!

Archived