Stuck case

johngarnett

I have got the remains of a case stuck in my 308 Quadlock. It was case head separation and I didn't see it coming!

I have tried a case extractor tool and using a .45 cal bronze brush but to no avail.

Any thoughts PLEASE?

Thanks guys

JohnG

Take it to a gunsmith mate, there's no point messing about and even endagering your chamber with any tools that are in your shed...They usually have reamers and such paraphernalia ( :) ) that can make the job easy and, most of all, safe for the gun!

good luck

Finman

This might work as a mate of mine had a full case stuck. I told him to put ice onto the case head to shrink the brass (it will shrink faster than steel) and it worked.

You could try and crush some ice up put it in a polythene bag and insert it into the chamber. After a minute or so, it might shrink the brass for you to remove it. Worth a try!!!!

i have heard-that a spray freeze kit that you can freeze water pipes with will do the trick a fair few blasts into the action and the brass shrinks then pop it out with a rod.

as i say i have only heard! ^_^

• 4 months later...

You can do a chamber cast with cerrosafe -wait about one hour and the case will probably come out .

Or clean the inside of the brass case -plug the neck with kids clay and fill the case only with epoxy .

Then pop it out with a rod the next morning.

How did you get the case out?

Glenn

Ive had a few clients come to me with this problem in the past. Get small tap - or similar and very carefully push it into your chamber till it connects then get a slight twist on the tap, this should remove it quite easily.

This might work as a mate of mine had a full case stuck. I told him to put ice onto the case head to shrink the brass (it will shrink faster than steel) and it worked.

You could try and crush some ice up put it in a polythene bag and insert it into the chamber. After a minute or so, it might shrink the brass for you to remove it. Worth a try!!!!

Subtle refinement-add ice to a fired case(or maybe two in succession) and put it primer to primer on the stuck one,so most of the cold goes to the brass,rather than equally to the steel.Tapped out easily on a stuck 223 in a straight pull.American advice was overnight in the (chest) freezer-sounds a bit OTT!

Subtle refinement-add ice to a fired case(or maybe two in succession) and put it primer to primer on the stuck one,so most of the cold goes to the brass,rather than equally to the steel.Tapped out easily on a stuck 223 in a straight pull.American advice was overnight in the (chest) freezer-sounds a bit OTT!

There is no primer on the stuck case, due to case head separation.

uote]

Of course,Dan!The idea can work for failed but intact non extraction,and may be modifiable-eg a smaller case full of ice,or just touching the stuck case,but needs real care tapping out-long wooden dowel rod might do it.Gunsmith better.

I've just tested the general principle in the university's cryogenic laboratory,using some brass monkeys.It definitely loosened their ballistics.

george

Archived