justify variation to the police

drum

A bit of advice needed.I am a headkeeper on a grousemoor , i currently have four centrefires ,223,243,7mm-08 and 300wsm plus a couple of rimfires and fac shotguns.Recently i applied for a variation for a 308 for which i was turned down on the grounds that i had got similar calibres already.Asked why i wanted a 308 i said for deer and fox.The 243, 7mm-08 and 300wsm are all cleared for deer and fox so i was refused the variation.I was told i would get a letter of explanation in the post,which i got stating that as i already had a 308 i wouldnt be allowed a 7mm -08 or a 300wsm! I kind of figured that if they couldnt get that part right i was going to be banging my head against a wall so i didnt pusue it any more.What reason would you have given when asked the question 'Why do you want another rifle'. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as to what i could have said to obtain the variation.

Cheers ,Paul.

Because of fitting a night site

because i havent got one

because of bullet choice better suited to that calibre

because of adding a moderator

did i say because i havent got one

spuds correct- i went down the night vision route for an additional .17cal which it is used for state dedicated night site on your form.jobs a good un.

Thanks for the replies.Reason i gave were availability of ammunition for 7mm-08 and 300wsm is not very common round these parts , i was basically told 'tough ,if you want another get rid of one first'.Regarding night vision dedicated rifle i tried this a few years ago with the estate 22-250 , i wanted it on my certificate so i could buy ammunition .Got refused for that also.On the grounds it was too similar to the 223 and 243.

If initially you are refused how much can you push before you get labelled a trouble causer which will,long term, be counter productive.

I like youre way of thinking ;) All deer are shot by myself-mainly roe on the hill.I get a bit p####d off been refused variations for no good reason other than they dont want you to have another rifle.Incidently last time my renewal was up i asked to increase my 22 rf allownce from 600 to 1000 ,i was asked why would i need all that ammunition for? i explained that the rabbit numbers were so large that a brick of 500 would only last a couple of nights so it would save a 40 mile round trip once a week to buy more.I was told as i wasnt in a club and didnt shoot targets i was only allowed to buy 500 and hold 600.Pleny of the lads round here have 1000 on their certs.I got told that couldt be right as only target shooters were granted this!He did however volunteer that he would up my centre fire allotment from 200 to 300 in each calibre.I just wish there was a stock answer to the question 'why do you want another rifle?'If anyone knows of one i'm all ears.

Cheers , Paul.

allowances in norfolk are very good with an allowed to hold 2000 on my cert for all rim fires and centrefires 450 on average

I guess the police up here in north yorks are a bit more inconsistent with their decision making than they ought too be.I am going to apply for another calibre , perhaps somthing nv dedicated . See if they allow it this time.

Archived