first cubs

thekeeper

went to go for some cubs at the rear of some woods that had been spotted while out checking some traps,because of the area and going to be close range (hopefully) i took the hmr17 , but saw nothing 3 hours hanging around in the rain me and my buddy wet cold hungry decided another night was on the agenda so we took the long route back,about 20 min walk , then spotted some eyes in the distance buy some rubbish pile on the next farm went to look and to our surprise there was a vixen with two cubs, managed to get on to some bales about 80yds away and waited 30min or so the vixen reappeared so first shot vixen down ,stayed put and 5min cub one came on top of pile looking so got that one then waited 20 min cub no2 came looking got that one so tired wet and hungry off home not a disaster after all back out tonight thought looking for the other cubs

http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h409/thekeeper2/IMAG0336.jpg

went to go for some cubs at the rear of some woods that had been spotted while out checking some traps,because of the area and going to be close range (hopefully) i took the hmr17 , but saw nothing 3 hours hanging around in the rain me and my buddy wet cold hungry decided another night was on the agenda so we took the long route back,about 20 min walk , then spotted some eyes in the distance buy some rubbish pile on the next farm went to look and to our surprise there was a vixen with two cubs, managed to get on to some bales about 80yds away and waited 30min or so the vixen reappeared so first shot vixen down ,stayed put and 5min cub one came on top of pile looking so got that one then waited 20 min cub no2 came looking got that one so tired wet and hungry off home not a disaster after all back out tonight thought looking for the other cubs

Nice little write up, glad your evening was not wasted, and good to hear of cubs emerging now.

ATB

don't see the point of shooting cubs this time of year.(dont do nothing for me)but some people like it i suppose.

little fox+ lots of game birds and hens,ducks etc =big fox.

don't see the point of shooting cubs this time of year.(dont do nothing for me)but some people like it i suppose.

My shooting is on a large driven Shoot, a dead fox is a dead fox, no matter how big or small it is and therefore another gamebird saved. It also helps the shepherd out as he's been loosing lambs to foxes.

I prefer these warmer evenings to being out on a freezing, wet and windy Winter night, so make the most of my oppurtunities when I get them.

sorry you don't approve but being a keeper every chance you get must be taken, in a few weeks time they will be awesome predators and will leave nothing in there quest for survival

sorry you don't approve but being a keeper every chance you get must be taken, in a few weeks time they will be awesome predators and will leave nothing in there quest for survival

not having a go that's the last thing i would do.being in the job you are i would do the same,i just like to let them grow a bit first.

Here we go again ! every year this debate raises its head, to shot cubs or not to shoot cubs.

To some people fox shooting is a sport and it can be a very enjoyable hobby that not only provides a valuable service to Game keepers, live stock managers etc it also provides a good income to those businesses who manufacture and sell the large array of kit available today.

To some people fox control is a necessity and needs to be done. Note the heading fox shooting/fox control both have there reasons and purposes. If people do not agree with shooting cubs this time of year then they are being ignorant to the facts, and with programs appearing on the Television Channel Fours Foxes Live how long will it be before some minister in whitehall decides that they should be protected.

I would suggest that if people do not agree with shooting cubs because they probably ignorant to the full facts then they should close there browser and delete the Varmit Forum of their favourites page.

Good hunting weather its work or sport.

ATB

Here we go again ! every year this debate raises its head, to shot cubs or not to shoot cubs.

To some people fox shooting is a sport and it can be a very enjoyable hobby that not only provides a valuable service to Game keepers, live stock managers etc it also provides a good income to those businesses who manufacture and sell the large array of kit available today.

To some people fox control is a necessity and needs to be done. Note the heading fox shooting/fox control both have there reasons and purposes. If people do not agree with shooting cubs this time of year then they are being ignorant to the facts, and with programs appearing on the Television Channel Fours Foxes Live how long will it be before some minister in whitehall decides that they should be protected.

I would suggest that if people do not agree with shooting cubs because they probably ignorant to the full facts then they should close there browser and delete the Varmit Forum of their favourites page.

ATB

Youre spot on, whilst shooting is a hobby for me and not a job, I treat it as a job and provide the best service I can.

Spoke to a mate in mid-wales earlier in the week, he was dealing with cubs that evening in protection of chickens, but using terriers instead of the rifle. The whole litter is dealt with, swiftly and fuss free.

:lol:

no need for you to close your browser and delete the varmint forum,it's only a forum where people give their opinions. :lol:

ATB

For some of my friends fox shooting is seasonal, they shoot August- Xmas, they do it purely for sport and the further the better.

I run a driven pheasant shoot, while I don't go out of my way to knock them over at this time of year I do usually start in June with cubs and vixens etc attending cubs. I like mine close or closer, 200 yards is ok, 100 is better, I want dead not educated. I have a couple which are very evasive, might have had one of them last week but am going to start setting a few snares for those two.

A

Fox shooting is my number one hobby its not my job but i take it very seriously, me and my mate look after around 15,000 acres of estate and farm land ranging from pheasants shoots rearing 30,000 polts to free range chicken and pig farms what are all fox magnets. Taking around 200 plus foxes a year i dont like to give anything a second chance if i can help it as soon as a den is found we sit out and get the adults first soon as there delt with the cubs are delt with next with gun or dogs. If i wasnt on the ground and doing the job they would soon have someone else on doing it and nobody wants that to happen so we try to get out at least twice aweek all year round ;)

We shot our first cubs of the year last night. We finished with 5 cubs and 2 vixens not a bad result, Now is the time to get on top of them before the crops are up to high, The wheat and rape is already to high. As for shooting cubs this time of year whats the problem? A fox is a fox at 1 day old or one year old. The reason i get to shoot over a lot of ground is that i will shoot foxes all year around and put the effort in. We started at 10.30pm last night and finished at 5.30 a.m this morning. The keeper will be in the rearing shed soon bringing chicks on. The last he wants is to put a 1000 birds in a pen and have a litter of cubs run riot in there. No time for sentiment i'm affraid.

ATB SEAN

We shot our first cubs of the year last night. We finished with 5 cubs and 2 vixens not a bad result, Now is the time to get on top of them before the crops are up to high, The wheat and rape is already to high. As for shooting cubs this time of year whats the problem? A fox is a fox at 1 day old or one year old. The reason i get to shoot over a lot of ground is that i will shoot foxes all year around and put the effort in. We started at 10.30pm last night and finished at 5.30 a.m this morning. The keeper will be in the rearing shed soon bringing chicks on. The last he wants is to put a 1000 birds in a pen and have a litter of cubs run riot in there. No time for sentiment i'm affraid.

ATB SEAN

Your spot on mate we have land owners ringing use now to go sort fox and rabbits out for them because we dont mess around we get the job sorted no matter what. This time of year we normaly sit out in an evening then lamp all night till day light then if we are ok we sit out again for first light so plenty of effort goes in.

Your spot on mate we have land owners ringing use now to go sort fox and rabbits out for them because we dont mess around we get the job sorted no matter what. This time of year we normaly sit out in an evening then lamp all night till day light then if we are ok we sit out again for first light so plenty of effort goes in.

I tend to take the same view and take them when I can. To some of my friends fox shooting is a seasonal sport, this they undertake from August to Xmas only. Rest of the year shoot crows.

A

I tend to take the same view and take them when I can. To some of my friends fox shooting is a seasonal sport, this they undertake from August to Xmas only. Rest of the year shoot crows.

A

I dont realy understand why people leave them theres certainly no shortage of foxes around us, ive bin doing one estate for 10 years now and killed lots of foxes in that time but their still there when we go, maybe not as many but their still about. So we try to take as many as we can we are over 100 this year so far.

I dont realy understand why people leave them theres certainly no shortage of foxes around us, ive bin doing one estate for 10 years now and killed lots of foxes in that time but their still there when we go, maybe not as many but their still about. So we try to take as many as we can we are over 100 this year so far.

A lot of people dont want to risk shooting out there land especially if it does not yield large numbers of foxes in the first place.

A lot of people dont want to risk shooting out there land especially if it does not yield large numbers of foxes in the first place.

The chances of shooting out foxes is very slim. We lamp the same estate at least once a fortnight. Although we don't see lots of foxes we always see some. If you shoot one you just create a vacum and another will move in. Beleive me there are a lot of keepers that wish you could shoot foxes out' The truth is it ain't gonna happen. Whack em when you can. Rabbits on the other hand can be almost shot out, All year round shooting especaily in the summer really does knock the numbers back.

ATB SEAN

The chances of shooting out foxes is very slim. We lamp the same estate at least once a fortnight. Although we don't see lots of foxes we always see some. If you shoot one you just create a vacum and another will move in. Beleive me there are a lot of keepers that wish you could shoot foxes out' The truth is it ain't gonna happen. Whack em when you can. Rabbits on the other hand can be almost shot out, All year round shooting especaily in the summer really does knock the numbers back.

ATB SEAN

Once a fortnight is not in the same league as some folk, I have hit my shoot hard over the last five years and trust me I now see a fraction of what I used to.

Regards Nick.

You will never shoot out foxes on any ground one farm we have gets lamped alot and hit with night vision as it's my mates pheasant shoot and a free range chicken farm. Killed hundreds on there over the years but they still come back. As for rabbits we only shoot in the winter when crops are down and we sell them all,we shot over 1500 this winter, some ground we hammered the rabbits big time went on there the other night and the fields where full you wouldn't beleave we had taken hundreds off it through the winter. Different times different nights you will have foxes passing over the grounds its just being there at the same time to catch them out.

Not in the same league as some i agree but more than some . But we havn't had a blank night. The difference is some folks shoot them for a bit of fun others shoot them because they need to. I shoot foxes for keepers in exchange for deer stalking and pigeon shooting. As you said you have shot your ground hard for the last five years but are still seeing foxes. Shoot them when you can i say. It is horses for courses shooting them for fun or shooting them to try and stop the damage they cause. If your someone who likes to just pop out now and then and shoot the odd charlie no worries. But on a pheasant shoot the only good fox is one that never heard the bang. As i said shoot them you can. No point in letting them get older and wiser.

ATB SEAN

Not in the same league as some i agree but more than some . But we havn't had a blank night. The difference is some folks shoot them for a bit of fun others shoot them because they need to. I shoot foxes for keepers in exchange for deer stalking and pigeon shooting. As you said you have shot your ground hard for the last five years but are still seeing foxes. Shoot them when you can i say. It is horses for courses shooting them for fun or shooting them to try and stop the damage they cause. If your someone who likes to just pop out now and then and shoot the odd charlie no worries. But on a pheasant shoot the only good fox is one that never heard the bang. As i said shoot them you can. No point in letting them get older and wiser.

ATB SEAN

it would be nice to have some fox bait like a pheasant shoot on my land but the farmer stopped that years ago :angry: although to compensate the roe and munty population is overflowing :lol:

ATB Nick.

Archived