35 Remington Thompson/Center Contender

Guest 308Panther

The only version I am familiar with is the pistol version.

The one I fired was an older one w/ a 15 in Barrel in .35 Rem.

Extremely barrel heavy.

Heavy enough that shooting offhand w/ a one hand grip wasnt possible

for me.So I had to rest the butt on the lane table and take my shot

kneeling.

Recoil....While not bad in a rifle. The .35 Rem falls between a .30-30 and the .308

But in a pistol .....Its quite abit above that of a .44Mag.Definatley an arm raiser

even with a 2 handed grip.

The .35 Rem is an adequate deer cartidge...But I wouldnt push shots much past

150 yrds or so. as it is limited....200 yrd would be a long shot for this round.

From Remingtons website.....

http://www.remington.com/

Products > ammunition>Ballistics

Use the fields to select calibers.

To get an idea with commercial loads.

T/C does make good stuff....

I am not sure how forgiving they are to "Hot" loads.

308Panther

I have owned contender pistols including the 35 Remington. It is a good close range deer cartridge typically tossing a 200 grain bullet at 2100 ft/sec from a rifle. I never got close to that in my Contender. I think 1790 - 1820 was the fastest speed I got from a 14 " handgun.

Accuracy and case life with the the .35 can be a problem if you don't pay heed to OAL. The cartridge is a rimless design with only a scant shoulder. If you don't kiss the bullet into the rifling you tend to have the shoulder set back after a few firings. Because of this, you need to pay extra careful attention to the loaded overall length of your cartridges.

I didn't find recoil too bad but I am a long time handgunner who doesn't pay attention to such things. (I can hear my old coach. "Forget the recoil! Sight alignment! Trigger control!") ~Andrew

The thompsons are imported here [ i forget who] and we get enquiries from time to time, but they never materialise into sales when people learn the price over here.....they are astronomical for some reason.

Guest 308Panther
I didn't find recoil too bad but I am a long time handgunner who doesn't pay attention to such things. (I can hear my old coach. "Forget the recoil! Sight alignment! Trigger control!") ~Andrew

;)

Something like that in a H/gun is gonna rock your arm....

No question of it...

Ya cant "hold " the recoil back....so ya learn to relax and roll with it.

Ya only have one shot anyway.

So there isnt a point of locking into and trying to hold it.

Let it come up.

308Panther

• 2 weeks later...

Had one for a little while in 223 because of the size of gun and wieght I found it to be a fantastic carry rifle and all you do to change calibre is remove a pin take the barrel off and replace it with another one in a different calibre.

The only problem overhere like most things is the price and trying to get hold of another barrel is a bit a of struggle.

They come with a fantastic trigger and shoot well out the box, only thing I found was the lenght of the stock was a little short for me, :lol:

Hi

I have just brought a Thompson pro hunter in 300 win mag. It took a long time to get it int the country but I have always wanted one.I am not happy about the accuracy at the moment, but am very happy with the feel and the look of the rifle and I will have to try a few more loads before it gets sent back to Thompson. In the USA the Thompson is quite cheap.But in this country you get ripped right off with prices.

Dogfox

Hi

I have just brought a Thompson pro hunter in 300 win mag. It took a long time to get it int the country but I have always wanted one.I am not happy about the accuracy at the moment, but am very happy with the feel and the look of the rifle and I will have to try a few more loads before it gets sent back to Thompson. In the USA the Thompson is quite cheap.But in this country you get ripped right off with prices.

Dogfox

Hi dogfox

Could you post some pic,s and some targets,, and a bit of info???

I have looked at one of these in the past!!!! Thay sure are interesting!!!!

All the best from wales Darrel

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Darran

Sorry that I have not come back with any photos yet.I have been off work and my camera is in work, and also I have had the barrel off the encore to have it threaded for a mod.As soon as I get the barrel back I will take the photos for you. I have not had much luck with hand loads as I have have not had much time to play with it. I tried some 180 grain factory ammo and it group well.( about 1.3 inch groups at 100 yards) I will try to duplicate the factory ammo and see what I get.

Dogfox

• 3 weeks later...

Archived