A GREAT NIGHT OUT

nemasis243

Well its been a while since I have posted about my exploits in the fox shooting world as I have eased off a fair bit due to other commitments.

Last night I was out helping a farmer who was having problems loosing lambs from old Charlie, the farmer has lost on an average of 5 a night for the past week and only got in touch with me a day ago to see if I could help.

I arrived at the farm with my lamp man and after a guided tour of the farm in the landy we got set up and set off on foot, the terrain isn't the best to drive and my plan was to find a good vantage point and call for a long period of time and see what happened,

Well as we set up the wind was changing its mind and I thought this is going to be a bugger of a night to try and call until I thought of using the stack of silage bales as a platform to scan and hopefully shoot from.

The stack of bales was 5 high and once up there gave us a fantastic view of most of the fields, we overlooked the lambing field and could see well into the fields that surrounded it and then got set up to start our work.

Lamping from an elevated position couldn't have worked out better for us ,as the wind picked up some what as the nite went on and after a scan with the lamp I started to call using my trusty old wam call.

I called for about 3-4mins and then gave it a rest for the same amount of time, we then shone the lamp round and nothing , this went on for about 20mins changing calls from the Wam to the Alt and also using my hand but we seen nothing.

We had had the lamp off for about 5mins and I said " lets have another look" , as the lamp hit the lambing field the was a fox coming through the far hedge, which stood out well. I got down behind the rifle and gave him a Vmax in the chest from about 90yrds, as I shot another fox bolted across the field,a small fox, which turned out to be a vixen, as she shot across the field I turned down the mag on the scope so I could foloow her more easily and as she eased off to walking pace I sent another Vmax through the back of her head ,

My mate scanned around and it was like someone had let 5 foxes go in the 2 fields infront of us.

I took another one in the next field which was about 140yrds away , I starting calling and managed to get one to come a bit closer and nailed a nice dog at the same distance,

The 5th fox had gone,or so we thought, but then after a short while he appreard again in the same spot and responded very well to the call and come down the hedge and crossed into the field to the right of the lambing field, but as the light went on him he seemed to drop lower and scrape his way across the field, it was odd and couldn't see him in the longish grass from time to time.

He the apperaed just off to the right of the same field and once I had him in my sights, I gave a load "Oi" and he stopped for enough time for me to stop him in his tracks.

We carried on for another 1/2 hr, but then a heavy downpoor made our minds up to call it a nite,

After reporting back to the farmer, he was very surprised how many we took in the amount of time we had been out,

I called him today to see if he had lost any more lambs , his answer was 1 ,so there is still another one to sort out.

Just hope it stays dry tomorrow nite

Sounds like a great night out ive yet to shoot one with my new Tikka yet, but not seeing many on my main ground i shoot as its just arable and the crops are getting high now, but i had a good rabbit last week 170 yard head shot i was well happy as it was in a freshly done potato field and im still getting a feel for this gun.

Nice to see you've got off the nest and got back into a bit of foxing again!

Cheers

Dave.

LMAO your a bad man Dave, I will tell MC to come and sort you out when she is in next lol

Good read Andy and great to see your getting out again..i have just returned to work but managed 10 fox while home in 5 outings 4 one night and 3 on another then 2 one night then last 1 another night.

Nice going Mick, been busy for a while now so havent had many chances to get out and about, but am getting back into it again :D

Archived