Question, changing primers in my 6.5x47 lapua..

Offroad Gary

Im currently running cci br primers and varget powder, if I change to cci br magnums will I get pressure/velocity increase or just more consistency?

I know the answer is to try it at a low charge, but I’m just wondering if anyone has done the same, and what the results were.

Thanks in advance

If you're nearly on a top end charge with the CCI BR's then you do really need to drop the charge down a bit, before changing primers. Common sense says to do it regardless of what you current load is, but I do understand where you're coming from.

You may get a slight velocity increase but nothing to drastic, most say that the magnum primer removed unexplained fliers from groups.

Based on actual experience - I was running Federal small primers in my 6.5x47 Lapua and, because of occasional piercing, I switched to CCI Magnum.

This is my 600 yd benchgun - I never altered anything or noticed any difference in anything - except no more pierced primers.

Vince

• 2 weeks later...
Guest richness

450 magnums the most important single change I made in that cal. I didn't worry about excess pressure and switched straight over but obviously common sense dictates that you exercise caution.

Archived