First go at reloads

onelesscharlie

Dipped my toe into the shady world of reloading today and didnt blow the shed up so it was a relative success.

Set up a Dillon 550B with all the bits for 223 and the following data:

55g hornady vmax heads

25.5g of varget

2.240 OAL

Should be samewhere near the Federeal vmax's ive been using lately, so off to Ionic's tomorrow to try them out.

Onelesscharlie

Dipped my toe into the shady world of reloading today and didnt blow the shed up so it was a relative success.

Set up a Dillon 550B with all the bits for 223 and the following data:

55g hornady vmax heads

25.5g of varget

2.240 OAL

Should be samewhere near the Federeal vmax's ive been using lately, so off to Ionic's tomorrow to try them out.

Onelesscharlie

By the time you've shot your first group with them you'll be hooked - Hmmm! A little more/less powder, slightly heavier bullet, try different primers, different powder, seat them out/in a bit, more/less neck tension, different cases, annealing, neck/full length resize etc. etc. :)

I am getting very good results with H335 using lighter pills, very accurate :rolleyes: at the moment I am using 53gr and 50gr V-max's awsome.

Hiya Mate,

I just loaded 25.5grains of Varget in quickload using 55 grain VMax bullets and an OAL of 2.240" to see what the expected results of this load are likely to be and it is showing 25.5 grains of varget in a .223Rem case as 112% case capacity.

I suspect the case was filled to the brim with powder right up tight behind the bullet

I have always found the best accuracy loads to be with loads using case capacities between 93-100%.

The case pressure with your load didn't show as excessive so see how it performs,it may be an excellent combination.

If you don't get great results with the Varget using this bullet you may like to try H335, Viht 120 or Ramshot X-Terminator, they each give good velocities with approximately 95% case capacity.

Varget works really well with the .223Rem using the heavier 69-90 grain bullets ;) ;) ;)

Thanks very much for those details... if i shake a completed round the powder seems to have room to move.

I am however going to try 27g of BDC 2 as a spherical powder seem to feed better through my Dillon powder feeder.

Thasnks everyone for your comments ...im hooked already.

Onelesscharlie

Archived