6.5 x 47 Weight Guesstimate

Hello All,

Looking from some info from the multiple owners of 6.5 x 47 rifles out there, what weight do you think the rifle would need to be in order for you to see the bullet strike.

I appreciate that there are variables ie bullet weight and velocity etc, so for this exercise if you assume top end loads with heavy bullets.

One of the main roles for the rifle would be long range bunny bashing off a bipod (assuming my FEO agrees).

Weight wouldnt really be a problem as it wont be a carry gun, but I dont want to end up with an artillery piece,

Thanks

Range ??

This round bucks a bit for its size. I would say at least 14lbs/with mod if used /if not 16=lbs

Hi dannyt,

Re - what range, from all I have read its seems that the round is very capable out to 600yds depending on the nutt at the butt, I have done a lot of (normal lowland stalking) which I know bears very little resemblence to long range varminting so its going to be a case of finding my feet as I go.

Re using a Mod - a definte yes to that,

Thanks

Weight is one thing- stock design can be an equally important variable.

From memory, at times I get to see dust strikes beyond 500yds but rarely. Mine's a relative lightweight though at about 12lbs all up.

Chris-NZ

Weight is one thing- stock design can be an equally important variable.

From memory, at times I get to see dust strikes beyond 500yds but rarely. Mine's a relative lightweight though at about 12lbs all up.

Chris-NZ

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply, I was thinking about a tactical stock maybe a Mcmillan A5 or similar,

Thanks

Fultons have a s/h 6.5x47 in a Bell and Carlson stock

If you're looking for a Mcmillan A5 theres one on guntrader in the gunparts forsale section.

HTH Alan

Hi 20series,

I will have a look at them, many thanks for the reply

Hi 20series,

I will have a look at them, many thanks for the reply

I have a AI in 6.5x47 all up wieght of about 17pounds i think???

If you keep the mag down on your scope you can see bullet strikes,,,

and it will do 1000 yrds no probs

best little round on the market,,

Darrel ;)

Seeing bullet strike is a funny thing. I have seen the bullet strike several times with my 10lb moderated 308 with 168's on longer range deer. Sometimes I don't see the strike with my 223. I tried taking video's of the muzzle movement when firing my non moderated 5.7kg 243 E-Tac, we tried looking for explanations for the small amount of remaining muzzle raise. Using a very light stock and a heavy scope can get the centre of gravity close to or on the muzzle line which will avoid muzzle flip....but when using a bipod the rifle will torque somewhat and lift a bipod leg raising the muzzle because of torque. Maybe shooting off a bag reduces muzzle raise? Overall my take, keep the weight in the barrel and scope.

edi

Seeing bullet strike is a funny thing. I have seen the bullet strike several times with my 10lb moderated 308 with 168's on longer range deer. Sometimes I don't see the strike with my 223. I tried taking video's of the muzzle movement when firing my non moderated 5.7kg 243 E-Tac, we tried looking for explanations for the small amount of remaining muzzle raise. Using a very light stock and a heavy scope can get the centre of gravity close to or on the muzzle line which will avoid muzzle flip....but when using a bipod the rifle will torque somewhat and lift a bipod leg raising the muzzle because of torque. Maybe shooting off a bag reduces muzzle raise? Overall my take, keep the weight in the barrel and scope.

edi

Hi Edi, Thanks for your reply - something else to think about

My rifle weighs in at 16lbs, and has a muzzle brake (I'm sure a mod would do at least as good a job at dampening recoil)

I can almost always see my bullet strikes regardless of distance (100-1000 yards) and regardless of magnification (upto 50x) provided I use a bipod and a rear sandbag. On clear days I also regularly see my bullet's path to the target (or at least the disturbed air behind my bullet) I find the 6.5x47Lap a very nice cartridge to shoot indeed.

My rifle weighs in at 16lbs, and has a muzzle brake (I'm sure a mod would do at least as good a job at dampening recoil)

I can almost always see my bullet strikes regardless of distance (100-1000 yards) and regardless of magnification (upto 50x) provided I use a bipod and a rear sandbag. On clear days I also regularly see my bullet's path to the target (or at least the disturbed air behind my bullet) I find the 6.5x47Lap a very nice cartridge to shoot indeed.

Hi Hox,

Thanks for your reply, what stock have you on the rifle,

Regards

Hi Hox,

Thanks for your reply, what stock have you on the rifle,

Regards

It's a Mcrees Precision stock, Aluminium and modular so it can be adapted to fit the role. A tactical stock really but if you don't have much carrying around to do there's no reason it couldn't work. However I believe they can be tricky to get hold of. I think Dolphin are making a very similar stock which is much easier to come by.

Hello All,

Looking from some info from the multiple owners of 6.5 x 47 rifles out there, what weight do you think the rifle would need to be in order for you to see the bullet strike.

I appreciate that there are variables ie bullet weight and velocity etc, so for this exercise if you assume top end loads with heavy bullets.

One of the main roles for the rifle would be long range bunny bashing off a bipod (assuming my FEO agrees).

Weight wouldnt really be a problem as it wont be a carry gun, but I dont want to end up with an artillery piece,

Thanks

Certainly my force would be most reluctant to put rabbit on a 6.5. Get them to just show vermin. Dont mention rabbit etc or only in so much as you might shoot one or two to check zero/wind drift etc. The BR case will do all you want vermin wise to 600 yards and be much more likely to be accepted if necked down to 20 or 22. I have a 14lb 20BR, no moddy, see every hit. Modestly loaded so no recoil much.

A

Certainly my force would be most reluctant to put rabbit on a 6.5. Get them to just show vermin. Dont mention rabbit etc or only in so much as you might shoot one or two to check zero/wind drift etc. The BR case will do all you want vermin wise to 600 yards and be much more likely to be accepted if necked down to 20 or 22. I have a 14lb 20BR, no moddy, see every hit. Modestly loaded so no recoil much.

A

Hi Alycidon,

Hoping to get the (any other legal quarry) wording on the licence,

Thanks

Archived