Paralax

Scotch_egg

So.....

I do more vermin, foxing and stalking than paper punching. My go to rifle is a 7-08 shooting 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips through a 18.5" barrel at 2740fps. The scope is an IOR 4-14x50 with NO paralax.

At what range should I see paralax become an issue? Or is it more of a magnification issue.

I shoot fast at live quarry that does not allow for dialling paralax unless out with my 6mmbr and NXS.

I like the magnification of my IOR but do not see many scopes at x14 plus paralax free.

Is there anything out there?

Probably what you mean to say is that your scope has fixed parallax for a certain range (eg. 100 or 200 yards). Parallax, as I understand it, is an optics property that one cannot escape if looking down a tube...

Best wishes

Finman

Parallax becomes an issue the higher the magnification. Typically scopes with magnification 10x or less don't have an issue. Parallax (or lack of) is all about placing the target, reticle and eyeline all on the same focal plane. You can check parallax by looking through your scope at a target and then moving your head up and down (without losing full sight picture) if the reticle moves in relation to the target then you have parallax dialed in. If you have a target or tactical scope with parallax adjustment you can fine tune the parallax out so that when you move your head the reticle stays put on the target.

In your case Scotch Egg test the parallax at 14x on a target, if its an issue turn the magnification down slightly. I assume that since there is no adjustment its set for an optimum range at 14x. Outside of that range the only way you can counter the issue with a scope with no parallax adjustment is by using a very consistent cheek weld, you are likely to see POI shifts when you move shooting positions though.

You can check if you have a paralax issue by setting your rifle up on a solid rest and then without moving the rifle move your head side to side or up and down and see if the crosshairs move. If they move you need to adjust the paralax, if they don't it is set correctly.

I know this isn't always possible when shooting in the field but all you can do is adjust it as best you can.

Also with the extra turret, besides the parallax adjusting a fringe benefit is that you can have the reticle and target both focused at any range.

Try looking at a target too close for your setting and you will see what I mean, the inverse is usually true for air rifle scopes.

Magnification does make it more pronounced but it will be there irrespective just to what degree and will this have any real bearing on the shot depends on head position, think of this as looking down the optical axis of the scope.

Archived