Ultrasonic cleaning

Redfox

This picture shows some once fired 270 cases that had been stored for a while. They were cleaned in the ultasonic bath with the RS components Oxide remover in the water.

You can see the cases as was on the right with touches of green verdigris etc which is normal, after cleaning in the middle and after a 15 minute tumble to remove sizing lubricate etc.

P1010007-1.jpg

Redfox

This is my tank, it will hold up to 200 270 cases, but the more you put in the slower it works so I do about 50 normally. It is 6x6x 11 inches long inside and 300watts, it can heat the water too.

SV600004-1.jpg

Redfox

Well they vary on Ebay, you can buy a perfectly serviceable 100watt one for about £47.50 and that would sensibly do 20 -50 cases at a time with a total time of 20-30 mins. One like mine but with 600watts power ( easily do 200 cases at once and 50 in less than ten minutes) is about £ 199.00, which is fair money but will last you virtually for ever, I have had mine since 1992 and its still going strong.

Dont forget these will do lots of other things too, I clean petrol and diesel injectors in mine saving at least £28.00 per injector, it will clean jewellry , cds, watch straps etc etc, so it pays for itself many times over.

If anybody wants to know how to clean something in particular PM me.

I use a Franklin Arsenal tumbler ( £47.00 ish) you actually dont need a tumbler as the cases are absolutely clean, but I remove all traces of sizing lube from my cases by this method ( just another variable I dont want) and it restores a bit of the shine too. :o

Redfox

Thanks redfox, i asked the question "how many use ultrasonic cleaners/tumblers" on the old forum but only smeagle replied, looking at you photos they do a very good job, i take it its best to de-prime first so it cleans out the primer pocket ?

I have a decapping die and decap then clean, the residue is very abrasive in the cases and not what you want to put in your expensive sizing dies.

Once clean I either neck size or full length size according to which cal ( I full length size after every 5 neck sizes anyway) and then a quick tumble to remove any traces of lubricant.

All my full length dies are set to only push the shoulder back .002" any way so it is more to do with putting the case back to std dimensions so it extracts easily.

Redfox

Redfox has about nailed it there. I have one of the smaller machines, and it isnt big enough to do the cases within an acceptable period of time. The big one he has, obviously is, and i wish i,d spent a bit more and gone for one of them. Ultrasonic gives beautifully clean cases, which are actually "too clean" and benefit from a quick tumble with some polish added, but they are ace on primers pockets.

Work is a bit slow at the moment and er in doors wants bathroom upgrades, but as the money comes in I am going to get one of the 600 watt ones of the guy on ebay ( like they say you cant beat a bit more power). Based on the 300 watt one I have the 600 one will do a fair number of cases in 15 mins or less.

Your right on the primer pockets and down inside the cases are as clean as new.

I will say again the oxide / carbon remover concentrate from RS Components ( 198 - 4915 is pt no) is the best Ive found, it doesnt damage the brass and cleans them very quickly, I use about 20% mix you can use more but it does the job, you can use it till it gets very dirty so a litre bottle lasts me 12 months at less than six quid.

Redfox

I should have mentioned, with the bigger tank I fill it with plain hot water and if only doing 10-20 cases I use one of the thin half litre plastic pots, the sort full cream or in my case special "home made" soup come in, they are very thin and dont damp the ultrasonic as much ( I used to use Pot Noodle ones when daughter had a thing for them), the pot noodles ok just takes a little longer.

I also either let the solution stand and drain into another pot leaving the crud at the bottom or pass it through a piece of kitchen towel in a strainer, both work and the stuff lasts longer, with a drop of new added.

It works best if heated ( in Microwave :rolleyes: ) to too hot to put your finger in, the cold cases drop the temp a bit, then straight in the US bath for about 15 mins or longer if needed.

It is very obvious after a few goes, that if you decap and clean within 24 hrs of firing it is much easier and quicker, than leaving it days, weeks, months.

Using the pot method it is easy to clean 2 or 3 cases on their own ( I collect them up cleaned until I get to the end of the ten or twenty cases I'm using then reload the lot) that way they are not left and only need the normal sizing trimming etc ready for loading.

Redfox

• 2 years later...
I will say again the oxide / carbon remover concentrate from RS Components ( 198 - 4915 is pt no) is the best Ive found, it doesnt damage the brass and cleans them very quickly, I use about 20% mix you can use more but it does the job, you can use it till it gets very dirty so a litre bottle lasts me 12 months at less than six quid.

Redfox

i presume you mix it with normal tap water or does it have to be distilled

Don't forget guys if you are using one of these you need to degass the solution first time.

Basically this just means run it with liquid only until the air bubbles stop and then your ready to go.

Archived