How do you choose?

1967spud

What decisions do you make and what things are you looking for, when you choose a riflesmith to build your rifle?

Spud

Firstly I seek either a direct recommendation from an existing customer or look for reports of 'reputation'..... lets face it word gets about one way or the other....then you have to decide who you believe!

After that I would call to discuss my project and assess whether the guy is responsive and willing to spend time with me and / or suggest options.

After that we are down to affordability.

My case in point is Baldie (Dave)....... he will do all of the above (and more) and is a damned good 'Smith to boot. I am sure that others are also good but the path that led me to Dave was as above and I have gone back many times since my first rifle!

Repeat business is the real 'acid test' in my view.

What decisions do you make and what things are you looking for, when you choose a riflesmith to build your rifle?

it needs to be someone i can get on with and talk to , reputation and recommendation , quality of other work which i like to see for myself ? and also it is important to me that they shoot along my interests so that they know what i'm trying to achieve?

1st up good quality work and good prices. next I like them to be as local as possible as I think its better to deal in person instead of posting rfd to rfd.

dont get me wrong if you know a good smith who you trust and you have to travel then i guess its worth it. just as important of a good gunsmith is one that will correct a problem with any work they have done if something did go wrong.

lots of good smiths in the uk but also some cowboys to. nothing worse then paying for something and then having to pay more to get a different smith to fix it

TCQ.

Time, Cost and Quality but for me it is in the order of Quality, Cost/Time. Finding the right person is important as custom builds can be pricey, we have only had two custom rifles built but they were both by the same person and both are accurate.

Archived