wind?

22-250jock

hi guy's

one for you 'regular' long range varmint shooters.

please can you offer some tips on reading wind speed, direction etc in the field, when shooting 300yrds plus

ie if its the middle of winter and no leaf on the trees, or any long grass what other indicators can you use

cheers jock

hi guy's

one for you 'regular' long range varmint shooters.

please can you offer some tips on reading wind speed, direction etc in the field, when shooting 300yrds plus

ie if its the middle of winter and no leaf on the trees, or any long grass what other indicators can you use

cheers jock

An anemometer.

Tony

I've found it helps to have some practice comparing your guesses of wind speed against actual readings off your gear. I now have in my mind a good idea of what the classic 10mph looks like and that can be a benchmark for relative adjustments.

Even with all the instruments in the world, there's still a heap of black magic involved calling wind

Chris-NZ

I've found it helps to have some practice comparing your guesses of wind speed against actual readings off your gear. I now have in my mind a good idea of what the classic 10mph looks like and that can be a benchmark for relative adjustments.

Absolutely. Calibrate your senses. Take a windmeter on dog walks. Estimate wind between you and a notional target; then measure it as you walk to it. You'll generally find that you over-estimate windspeed until you get 'calibrated'. Once you've taken your various measurements look back and workout why you got what you measured - how was the wind actually moving between you and the target. When you start to 'get' how wind moves and is affected by obstacles, you can start to apply that judgement in new situations.

Don't forget that the same wind that moves you left or right can also have a vertical effect which depends on the direction of your rifling twist.

Archived