Does a barrel have to be proofed if it is fitted by yourself, only used by you and not intended for sale?

No it doesn,t.

Generally speaking though, you have to have an RFD to fit it, unless you have a spare barrel in that calibre on your license. Its still a can of worms there to be honest.Your local licensing office should be able to tell you better.

The proofing part of it is correct, as stated above, its the legalities/intricasies of doing it yourself.

Dave , whats the legaliyties of one barrel fitting 2 different actions , i know headspace would be different etc but just wondred the legal side

Providing you own both actions, and have the barrel on ticket also, there,s no problem.

I have at least half a dozen spare barrels on my own ticket. Its quite a common thing if you run AR,s or Tubbs these days. I,m sure John MH will chime in here, i know he has a veritable pile of barrels for his tubb.

Dave , whats the legaliyties of one barrel fitting 2 different actions , i know headspace would be different etc but just wondred the legal side

I'm sure Dave will give more reasons but the one I encountered with my switch barrel 6mm / 22ppc is when you come to sell it, according to my FLO because the barrels don't have serial numbers to match the action plod consider the barrel that isn't on the firearm a "firearm" in it's own right with no serial number for tractability. So now I want to have a variation on my fac I have got to send my spare barrel to Dave to be scrapped. Again according to my FLO all barrels should be serial numbered like Sako quad barrels apparently are. Difficult to explain but thats the problem I encountered.

ive got several slots on my liscence for spare barrels in variuous calibre and none are linked to any action

Think your self lucky you don't live in Cheshire :angry:

when i done a recent variation i was asked if i wanted any thing else as i was listing barrels only.

They dont have to be linked to an action, but they obviously will be proofed ON an action, so that is what the proof house records would show.

If its a chambered barrel, it has to entered on your certificate as a "firearm" much as a mod is. IT is marked down as NVN or "no visible number".

It can vary from constabulary to constabulary how they go about it.

Its a minefield to be honest.

They dont have to be linked to an action, but they obviously will be proofed ON an action, so that is what the proof house records would show.

If its a chambered barrel, it has to entered on your certificate as a "firearm" much as a mod is. IT is marked down as NVN or "no visible number".

It can vary from constabulary to constabulary how they go about it.

Its a minefield to be honest.

Hi,

I second Dave on this, every police force seems to have a different policy. Some forces want the numbers of even non pressure bearing components such as Blaser R93 bolt housings and chassis while the Met. rang me up and complained about 'too much information'. It is common to enter spare barrels (if a variation is possessed) and moderators as NVN - No Visible Number,

Alan

Hi,

One point that has not been raised. In the event of some sort of failure resulting in an injury to the shooter or bystander, an insurance company finding that any pressure bearing part of a firearm has not been proofed will use that as an excuse to invalidate a claim,

Alan

Hi,

One point that has not been raised. In the event of some sort of failure resulting in an injury to the shooter or bystander, an insurance company finding that any pressure bearing part of a firearm has not been proofed will use that as an excuse to invalidate a claim,

Alan

You may be right but I doubt any investigator would know enough about the subject to get in to the weeds. The whole thing is a scam in my book how come you dont hear of the Americans all getting blown up with faulty guns; they dont have to send for proof. The one area I think proof is good for is checking older guns that are looking a bit ropey

Dave

once seen a rife blow up at bisley and the guy next to him got a chunk of steel in the face the guy shooting got a load of shards in his face also lucky he never lost a eye ,thankfully no one was hurt bad appart from a few cuts but was pretty scary the rifle was proofed but i wonder what would of happened if it wasnt

You may be right but I doubt any investigator would know enough about the subject to get in to the weeds. The whole thing is a scam in my book how come you dont hear of the Americans all getting blown up with faulty guns; they dont have to send for proof. The one area I think proof is good for is checking older guns that are looking a bit ropey

Dave

Hi Dave,

I know of 2 instances where rifles suffered catastrophic failures, in both instances the insurance companies first action was to insist on Proof House examination. In one case the rifle was then forwarded to the College of Military Science at Shrivenham for further examination. The American manufacturers do have proof procedures, they are done 'in-house' adhering to proof standards established by SAAMI. Most custom gunmakers test new guns or barrels with an over (service) pressure round and make sure that their liabiity insurance is up to date!

Alan

Slightly off track but reading this reminded me. We have to bring a rifle in start of next month which is not proofed, the country of origin does not have a proof house. The rifle will be going back to it’s original country a couple of months later however I am tempted to shoot it whilst it is over here. The problem is should I get if proofed for such a short period when it is only myself and the wife that will use it.

once seen a rife blow up at bisley and the guy next to him got a chunk of steel in the face the guy shooting got a load of shards in his face also lucky he never lost a eye ,thankfully no one was hurt bad appart from a few cuts but was pretty scary the rifle was proofed but i wonder what would of happened if it wasnt

The only accident I've seen was at bisley to , trapdoor springfield should have been a duplex load of 5 grains pistol powder 60 of black but our Darwin award winner used 5 of black and 60 of pistol powder ! The rifle let go big style and I don't think proof marks would have helped in any way!! Everyone walked away with only minors thank god .

Slightly off track but reading this reminded me. We have to bring a rifle in start of next month which is not proofed, the country of origin does not have a proof house. The rifle will be going back to it’s original country a couple of months later however I am tempted to shoot it whilst it is over here. The problem is should I get if proofed for such a short period when it is only myself and the wife that will use it.

If you do not own the rifle Davy, it must be proofed for you and your lady to use it.

If you own it, then its not necessary.

She owns the rifle, it is just that it is in another country. I think the safest thing is to book it in at Birmingham and cross our fingers as it is both old and quite unusual.

She owns the rifle, it is just that it is in another country. I think the safest thing is to book it in at Birmingham and cross our fingers as it is both old and quite unusual.

Hi Davy,

The only problem might be that if it is an odd chambering, there might be a delay while the Proof House gets the components and figures out a proof load,

Best regards

Alan

It is an 1892 Dated M1889 Danish Krag in 8x58RD so not exactly something you trip over every day Alan. They only ever made 60k for the Danish Army. After the kicking the Danes got in the second Schleswig war where the Germans were equipped with faster loading rifles the M1889 was introduced to give breech loaded rifles to the troops. The M1889 was in use through to the second world war when the kind hearted Germans 'stored' a load for them during the invasion so a scarce rifle even in DK.

It is an 1892 Dated M1889 Danish Krag in 8x58RD so not exactly something you trip over every day Alan. They only ever made 60k for the Danish Army. After the kicking the Danes got in the second Schleswig war where the Germans were equipped with faster loading rifles the M1889 was introduced to give breech loaded rifles to the troops. The M1889 was in use through to the second world war when the kind hearted Germans 'stored' a load for them during the invasion so a scarce rifle even in DK.

Hi Davy,

Sounds interesting, the Krags (of all varieties) are fascinating, intricate and beautifully machined. I've been trying to find an original Norwegian Krag in 6.5x55 for years. The Germans managed to 'souvenir' most of these as well during their tour of Europe. A few turn up that were made under occupation but they are nothing like as good as the pre-war ones,

Best regards

Alan

I do wonder how this one managed to not be liberated.

We spotted it in a shop in DK end of last year and asked what it was, all the sales man could say was it was an 8mm Danish something and he happily dropped 25% off the asking price on the spot which took it from being cheap to 'We cannot walk out of the shop without this. Fair so say i had hoped it was an obsolete calibre in the UK but it was the 11mm that is OC over here.The Krags have some lovely features including the side loading magazine and the Dane has a sleeved barrel similar to the early Mausers, the action is slick as well. I am looking forward to getting it out on the range.

A proper 6.5SE Norwegian Krag is going to be hard to find as well. Remind me to tell you the story my Boss recounted about an old Norwegian hunter he knew that owns a NO Krag sometime.

Davy, for Christ,s sake dont take it to the proof house, you legally dont have to, and trust me, they will damage, if not destroy it.

Roger at SYSS has some beautiful trapdoors, he was considering proofing to sell. The proof house told him they would be proofed with modern loads, thus possibly destroying them.

Words fail me to be frank.

This is what worries me Dave, I think order of the day is give it a very good clean and visual inspection and if I am happy I will put a round or two down range and give it a good look over again. It had been sitting in the shop for three years and I have no idea of the history prior to that so best to be careful.

I may even put my shooting glasses on for it, that usually has people scuttling for cover............

Archived