SAKO 6PPC

i have one and its accurate just ordered another barrel this will be fitted for the back end of this year or next year bought mine 2nd hand round count is unknown.plenty of load info about but they do like 65-69gn bullets with n133+ fed match.

i have one and its accurate just ordered another barrel this will be fitted for the back end of this year or next year bought mine 2nd hand round count is unknown.plenty of load info about but they do like 65-69gn bullets with n133+ fed match.

What brass are you using lap or sako?

Thanks Sean

Use Lapua Brass, it has a bit more capacity than Sako.

6PPC is a good tool for foxes etc but needs winding up to get over 1700 ft lbs, I limit deer shooting with mine to about 150 yards. EVERY deer I have shot with it has dropped on the spot. Barts Ultra 68 grain HP match bullets are marginally the most accurate in mine, for foxes etc I use 65gr Vmax. The Barts kill ok and being hollow point are fine for deer but they don't have the disruptive impact of a Vmax.

A

What brass are you using lap or sako?

Thanks Sean

sean-lapua 220 russian-you will [almost certain]have to turn the necks as [almost certain]the sako 6ppc USA has a .270 neck mine does and in my lot of brass a loaded round was .269[+ - .1]

so turned them to give me a loaded round of .267.if you can get sako USA brass i dont think you will have to neck turn but i think you will struggle to get it.

im sure the gun plumbers on here will put me right if im wrong.

Use Lapua Brass, it has a bit more capacity than Sako.

6PPC is a good tool for foxes etc but needs winding up to get over 1700 ft lbs, I limit deer shooting with mine to about 150 yards. EVERY deer I have shot with it has dropped on the spot. Barts Ultra 68 grain HP match bullets are marginally the most accurate in mine, for foxes etc I use 65gr Vmax. The Barts kill ok and being hollow point are fine for deer but they don't have the disruptive impact of a Vmax.

A

Does anyone sell Bart's bullets in the UK, and how much are they?

Does anyone sell Bart's bullets in the UK, and how much are they?

Mine came from Callum Fergusson ( PRS) some time ago, not sure if he still handles them. Failing that E mail Barts and ask them who distributes their products in the UK, the BR boys use them.

A

Or, use the 70gr Sierra Match King. Readily available and they are loaded in the Sako factory ammo. You'll get 1700ft/lbs with the lapua brass. They work very well.

They might do but the standard PPC 1 in 14 twist is optimised for the 68gr and lighter bullet. Mine has a 1 in 14 Shilen and does not shoot 70s ( Hornady soft points admittedly) that well, maybe .5MOA. 68s are in the .3s if held straight. To get 1700ft lbs the 68 needs to be doing about 3350 from memory.

A

Hi, used to have the Sako 75 with a laminate stock and heavy barrel in 6ppc.

Nice little rifle and I fireformed Lapua 220 Russian and had to neck turn the cases.

I found that the rifle loved Sierra 70gr HPBT better than any other bullet with Viht N130 or N133, but cannot now remember the load.

Best group in 100yd benchrest was 0.130 but usually averaged 0.3 or thereabouts.

Sold it because I preferred to shoot long range, but it was a nice rifle and wish that I had kept it.

Les

Anybody here own a sako 75 6ppc stainless laminate? Looks like i have just bought one and was wondering what the general thought was on them?

Thanks sean

Ive never owned one of these but i have seen that they are very highly thought of and sought after

What fireforming loads/methods are you using? Cream of wheat or shooting loaded cases?

Thanks sean

SEAN-in a full blown bench gun the guys who shoot them wont waste barrel life fireforming brass they will use the c.o.w method or similar ,or fireform brass in a old barrel cut with the same reamer.for our "factory sticks" losing 100 off the barrel life is not worth worrying about.just load and shoot .i formed some cases today with some 75gn vmaxs these will shoot under 3/4 m.o.a fireforming the brass so i wont waste any more on paper i will sort out some rabbits with them.the fire forming loads will be accurate enough.

They might do but the standard PPC 1 in 14 twist is optimised for the 68gr and lighter bullet. Mine has a 1 in 14 Shilen and does not shoot 70s ( Hornady soft points admittedly) that well, maybe .5MOA. 68s are in the .3s if held straight. To get 1700ft lbs the 68 needs to be doing about 3350 from memory.

A

Hiya mate, the Sako 75 VLS is a 1:12 twist though. Will stabilise 70s fine and will shoot OK with 87s too. Agreed, if the barrel is 1:14 you will struggle with 70s.

Regards

G

SEAN-in a full blown bench gun the guys who shoot them wont waste barrel life fireforming brass they will use the c.o.w method or similar ,or fireform brass in a old barrel cut with the same reamer.for our "factory sticks" losing 100 off the barrel life is not worth worrying about.just load and shoot .i formed some cases today with some 75gn vmaxs these will shoot under 3/4 m.o.a fireforming the brass so i wont waste any more on paper i will sort out some rabbits with them.the fire forming loads will be accurate enough.

What load are you using for fireforming?

Cheers sean

What load are you using for fireforming?

Cheers sean

sean-75gn vmax-27.4gns n133 fed match primers

71gn berger match 27.6gns n133 fed match primers

these loads are safe in my rifle if using them start lower and work up.

I've got a couple of them

65g v max

28.5g n133

stunningly accurate

iv had some 65vmax for a while now but havent bothered to give them a whirl as my main fox buster is 58vmax and target load is 65gn berger match would love to get hold of some barts or similar to try, -any one using the g+c custom bullets?

Anybody here own a sako 75 6ppc stainless laminate? Looks like i have just bought one and was wondering what the general thought was on them?

Thanks sean

You lucky boy!!!!Probably rare as rocking horse pooh now,,,,Varminter and I had one each a few years ago and probably never had much better accuracy out of anything since!!!Both wanted something bigger and had to move them on eventually but my tide is turning a little and would love to have one in the cupboard again.I bedded mine and changed the trigger spring for something a little lighter and ended up with a superb trigger break,Barrels are pretty much top quality ,clean up easy and are very very accurate.I still have a stack of groups that I shot with mine and one particular group at 200 yards with 66 berger mefs was as small as onehole as you could get.Favourite varmint rounds were usually with 58 or 75Vmax as there should be a 1 in 12 twist in your barrel if standard.I sold mine with around 3k up the tube as was still very accurate and i believe Varminter went over 4k before he had his rebarrelled.

If you are using Sako mounts just watch out for misalignment on the rear mount as the hex screw can pull mount to one side if the stop pin does not allow the mount to slide snugly on the dovetails.You can put thin slivers of steel from some old feeler guages either side and against the dovetail to cure this but although fiddly to do you will end up with a well centered mount/action/barrel and ask less of your scope to correct things on zeroing.Good luck,,,superb factory rifle!!

iv had some 65vmax for a while now but havent bothered to give them a whirl as my main fox buster is 58vmax and target load is 65gn berger match would love to get hold of some barts or similar to try, -any one using the g+c custom bullets?

Not sure if Foxing2Night has used G+C in his? Send him a PM ;)

Archived