6mmsuper lr

dannyt

well ive borrowed a super LR die (ive got one on the way but its not here yet) Chambered a Pacnor 7.5 twist in the above round and hope to test some rounds on Thursday before going to shoot with the Dorset lot on sunday with Spud .

I have put four pieces of lap brass through the die and all looks quite nice , as i hoped it looks close to a long x47 case .

iam going to try some 105/107 heads backed by some 4831sc to start with , then when ive got some more time in 10 days try some Dtacs.

My hopes are it will breath some life into the 243 case ,much cheaper than 6xc and 6.5x47 cases .

Might just what the doctor ordered for a mid range round with good barrel life with the longer neck.

ACID TEST sunday .

I am waiting for Baldie to build mine but I read that Lapua (or Norma) brass was to be avoided because it creates Donuts in the reforming run from 243 Win to 6mm SLR due to the shoulder being made of thicker metal than the neck.... whereas Winchester or Remington brass avoids this problem as the neck and shoulder metal is the same thickness.

Be interesting to know how you get on with Lapua which is what I usually use for other calibres.

I am waiting for Baldie to build mine but I read that Lapua (or Norma) brass was to be avoided because it creates Donuts in the reforming run from 243 Win to 6mm SLR due to the shoulder being made of thicker metal than the neck.... whereas Winchester or Remington brass avoids this problem as the neck and shoulder metal is the same thickness.

Be interesting to know how you get on with Lapua which is what I usually use for other calibres.

you can get round this quite easily

you can get round this quite easily

Spud - Getting lazy in my old age but if neck-turning is the answer and I could get the longevity of Lapua brass then it may be worth it!

Thats what ive read too , my reamer is 1307 as seen on r whitleys web site 6mmar . A no turn neck chamber which ive just skimmed the neck and run the neck turner into the shoulder befor running through the sizing die.

iam also going to throat it forward 15thou to try and seat the bullets just forward of the neck shoulder junction .

I would like to use this round for Mcqueens type tactical shooting and if it shows promise build my self a full up F class rig for practise and short range comps.

so we will see soon . lots of testing to be done on this line before the season starts proper.

i went a little different to danny for my reamer as i got a tight neck one so i will have to neck turn which will help eleaviate the donut prob i hope

I have very high hopes for this case Danny. Are you not gonna try the D-tac ?

just ordered 500 dave ill get back to you

i may even try this with r17 as i have a mountain

I am going for the lazy option with Winchester brass at first to see how many reloads I get compared to Lapua experiences..... never used Win or Rem brass before but sorting through my first batch of 100 shows fair neck thickness uniformity ..... only 6 or so rejects ex 100.(rejection based upon > .002'' variance around the neck wall.

Must admit that I wasn't used to such tatty flash holes!

I will weight sort next and see how they go.

Archived