what would chuck a 6mm 70gn ballistic tip fast/flatest?

as the title really, thinking of "my" ultimate foxing rifle with my favourite bullet - needs to be 6mm as would occasionaly used for food hunting.

what velocity can be achieved, without compromising accuracy

what cartridge (perhaps 6x284, 6mmremAI, 243ai???)

what barrel length/twist

weight not important as it would be for truck top foxing or ambush.

dont care about barrel life either.

cheers

as the title really, thinking of "my" ultimate foxing rifle with my favourite bullet - needs to be 6mm as would occasionaly used for food hunting.

what velocity can be achieved, without compromising accuracy

what cartridge (perhaps 6x284, 6mmremAI, 243ai???)

what barrel length/twist

weight not important as it would be for truck top foxing or ambush.

dont care about barrel life either.

cheers

I think it would have to be the 6mmAI or the 6-284

I'm in the process of getting a 6mmAI built by Dasherman.

I looked towards the 87Vmax with Reloader 17 you can get some impressive velocities.

Quick load simulates circa 3700fps but I will have to wait to get the rifle to give a real time value.

I chose the 6mmAI over the 6-284 because brass is cheaper and it has a much longer neck than the .284 so should reduce throat heat erosion. Also there is more prep with the 6-284 as have to neck down then fireform.

You can also get the 6mmAI to mag feed in a short action where as you will struggle with the .284 derivative.

Any way we will have to wait and see.

Cheers

Dave

This should make you smile.

Just done a quick load simulation with a 70gn Nosler BT using a 30" barrel in 6mmAI

With 53 grains of Reloader 17 which is near a max load you get 3966 fps!

Pretty impressive

Cheers

Dave

a friend has 6mmai, he uses 105 amax - nice and very accurate. short action is appaealing as i have donor waiting, any idea how long a 70gn bt loaded round will be in 6mmai? and will it fit/cycle in a tikka 590 action?? cheers.

a friend has 6mmai, he uses 105 amax - nice and very accurate. short action is appaealing as i have donor waiting, any idea how long a 70gn bt loaded round will be in 6mmai? and will it fit/cycle in a tikka 590 action?? cheers.

You should easily be able to load to mag length with a 70 grain projectile.

The problem comes with long bullets like the 115 DTAC although they solved that with the 6mm Crusader which Ian (Elwood) has.

It is not as extreme as the 6mmAI it keeps some of the body taper of the standard case and uses a 35 degree shoulder over the standard 26 degrees.

This allows it to easily mag and is used in the States as a tactical round. I'm sure Ian will see this and give some more info.

Cheers

Dave

I had a 6x284, it's a great cartridge, but as stated its fussy to reload for, and barrel was starting to go south at only 100 rounds. I think 243ai is about the practical maximum, I now run a 6x47 lap which pushes a 70gr nosler at 3550 with 38gr of powder, my current thinking is that less is sometimes more.

baldie , I'll try and get pat to post you some pics of the 22-284 and it's ballistics also might have a shot of the vixen he shot at 550 with it . thanks for the chat yesterday regarding the furball much appreciate the advice :rolleyes:

the lad i got my rpa off. go's foxing with a guy who has a 6x284 on a rpa action. he is on his second barrel already :D

he said the 70 grain blzkings at over 4000+ fps soon cuts the barrel life down :o

keeps his gunsmith busy though

6x284 will give you the most velocity, after that there's nothing in it between the 6mm Crusader and 6mm AI. My Crusader using 115 Dtacs and 53 grains of RL25 gave me a competitive F class barrel life of 700-800 rounds, the barrel was pulled at 1000 rounds and still performed pretty well,I certainly wouldn't have any issues with using the replaced barrel as a varmint barrel (which I probably will) hopefully that will give you a guide to barrel life.

I think what you have to look at is how much more powder you have to use and the gain in FPS and weigh the two up. If a 6x47 can achieve 3550 FPS with 38 grains of powder then that's what I would be looking at. The Crusader or 6mmAI should be able to push a 87 Vmax up to 3600 fps. It would be interesting to run some data between the 6x47 and 70 grain bullets alongside the 6mmAI using the 87 Vmax at typical foxing distances. I suspect the 6x47 would win the common sense match, but the Crusader/6mmAI would win the grin factor.

Hi Bucksden,

For practicality how about the 6mm Super LR? There was a thread running about this cartridge a few months back. If you wish to go to extremes, how about the .244 H&H Magnum? Originally mildly loaded with a .245 bullet there are versions around in the states built for a true 6mm. There is even an 'improved' version that was written about by Ross Seyfried in 'Guns & Ammo' many years ago. With modern powders and a long enough barrel the biggest problem might be bullet cores melting. Hopefully someone reading this will run some figures through Quickload and come up with the potential ballistics,

Cheers

Alan

I had a 6mmAI built on stolle action.It would push 70gr blitzkings at 3950fps out of a 28" tube with a fair dose of n160 behind it.Case life wasn't exactly long.But it was a good toy whislt i had it.Finding good 6mm rem brass might be a problem unless you wish to form it from 7x57 brass.

Cheers sean

Archived