Rimfire Advice

furniss480

Hi All,

Im new to the forum but not new to shooting.

I am in the market for a rimfire new or secondhand - i've done a bit of research and have narrowed it down to 3 but will look at others, a few years ago a had a brno 22lr but this time I fancy treating myself to something a bit nicer :)

Anschultz 1417 Thumbhole

Savage MK2 BSEV

CZ 455 THUMBHOLE

I like to do a bit of plinking and it will be used out of the Landy a bit to knbble pigeons and what have you.

Any advice appreciated

Tnx

First off welcome to ukv

I reckon you can't beat Cz for value for money or accuracy you can pay a lot more for a better quality rilfe but will it shoot any better ? :)

Cheers, yep the local guy has a cz455 thumbhole in stock - might go have a look - the anschultz is a smaller thing which would be handy out of the motor I remember my old brno was a bit of a pita out of the motor.

Here's another to consider. The Weihrauch HW66. Match trigger. Sooooooo slick bolt and reassuring lock up. Vented forend, more for effect than purpose and lovely stock. Superb bluing on the heavy barrel and superb balance. Fiddly mag - takes a knack but . . . . .

It also shoots.

I wanted something different having had an Anschutz - also superb but pricy.

Good luck with the choice.

ATB. David

Hi, for the money you carn't go wrong with cz, for my 18th I got the "American in .22" for £350 new.

9 years and about 9000 rounds later she still printed 1/2" at 70yards off the hilux wing mirror, the rabbits

hated her. Trader her in this spring for the 455 thumbhole and it's every bit as good if not better.

Hope this helps, Si

CZ here too. My sexy plastic stock 452 is a beut real work horse. Deffo worth every penny. Either stick a kit in tor trigger or spend an hr polishing original I did with mine pulls at a nice crisp 1.5

Lbs.

CZ here too. My sexy plastic stock 452 is a beut real work horse. Deffo worth every penny. Either stick a kit in tor trigger or spend an hr polishing original I did with mine pulls at a nice crisp 1.5

Lbs.

Thanks for the responses - some questions

Can you buy the 455 thumbhole screwcut ready ? as the gunshop down the road has one but its not cut.

If I wanted it cut down a bit before it was screwcut to make it slightly handier - how short would you go ?

Thanks in advance

• 7 months later...

The cz 455 should be cut as std as far as I'm aware (in the uk that is), mine was, if you do get it cut down, stay longer than 16" if a 'hummer' or 14" for a .22lr, any shorter and ya wasting energy and losing speed. I personally think that 18" or so is best for the hummer as my 16" is about 100 fps slower than my mates 18", which is no slower than his brothers 20".

The 455 is a cracking little rifle, they shoot well, and after an hour polishing some vital parts, slick as you'll find on any rimfire.

As for moderators, I use a SAK on both the hmr and 22lr, plenty good enough, and cheap to boot :) although I do use a Parker hale on the 9422 as the sak is too wide to use the open! sights :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a weihrauch hw60 in .22 and a hw66 in 17hmr(the one with the target stock not the plain one) and I can really recommend them both, but I do prefer the hw66. My only negative comment are the already mentioned magazines the 22 is only supposed to be a 5 round but 6 do fit and the 17 hmr is only a 4. Unlike my previous anschutz which I had the 10 round mags for.

4 and 6 round mags are a bit of a bore and I find when I am out rabbiting I spend a lot of time reloading them!

hiya,i run a cz 452,in both .22 and .17 hmr,,both acurate as anything out there,both are spot on for out the jeep window,mine have taken 1000,s of bunnies,never had a problem with them,stuck a boyd,s on my .22,cracking bit of kit,

you wont go wrong with a cz,no need for the heavy barrel one,just extra weight to hump around,ian

Archived