Introduction

will748

Hi all, my name is William, just recently joined this forum, so please be gentle! I'm involved in many aspects of field sport from deer stalking to fox shooting, vermin control and driven game. I enjoy fly-fishing and fly-tying and would love to get involved in falconry. I have a working Sussex spaniel and a German wirehair pointer. I have dabbled in taxidermy, and would like to take it a little further. Got a couple of Beretta shotguns, a multi for pigeon control and a O/U for game days. Rifles,Sako 85 in 243 CZ .22 and a Anschutz in .177. My question today is has any body got any good tips for removing / stripping a fox brush?. I normally cut the tail of in situ then remove the tail bone at home clamping it in the vice and removing the brush. I've seen tail strippers advertised on taxidermy sites, but was wondering what do other people do? Cheers Will

Hi all, my name is William, just recently joined this forum, so please be gentle! I'm involved in many aspects of field sport from deer stalking to fox shooting, vermin control and driven game. I enjoy fly-fishing and fly-tying and would love to get involved in falconry. I have a working Sussex spaniel and a German wirehair pointer. I have dabbled in taxidermy, and would like to take it a little further. Got a couple of Beretta shotguns, a multi for pigeon control and a O/U for game days. Rifles,Sako 85 in 243 CZ .22 and a Anschutz in .177. My question today is has any body got any good tips for removing / stripping a fox brush?. I normally cut the tail of in situ then remove the tail bone at home clamping it in the vice and removing the brush. I've seen tail strippers advertised on taxidermy sites, but was wondering what do other people do? Cheers Will

will, first of all welcome

the way ive stripped fox brushes before is to cut all round the base of the tail, then take 2 hazel sticks about 12'' long,1'' diameter.

place one under the tail the other on top, both close to where you cut.

grip the sticks together realy tight, one hand either side of the tail,

stand on the foxes back legs and pull

the brush should come away if you clamp the sticks as tight as you can when pulling

hope this helps

cheers jock

Hi Will,

Welcome to UKV. My method is a slight variation of Jock's, I cut lightly around the base of the tail to break the skin, trap the brush at the cut between the legs of my shooting sticks and then pull while standing on the fox. Voila, one rat tailed fox!

Cheers

Alan

Welcome Will, just treat it as a piece of electrical wire. A slight cut all the way round the base of the tail and then with a good pair of pliers (out of the car etc) strip it off. Failing this I have done the hazel stick method but this seem's so easy if you lamp from a vehicle or circulate around where you are parked.

Put a stick in (plant cane) when you get home and just keep topping up with meths every few days for a couple of weeks, done.

Hello and welcome to the site,

Not been on here long myself, but feels better than other sites,

There are some very clued up guys on here so I usually ask hard questions and they find embarrassingly easy answers

Have much the same interests as you and have taken tails as the others have quoted, next trick is curing them so they don't stink

Regards

Alan

I tried all the above without success so I sent off to the states and acquired two tail strippers one aluminium and one hard plastic. Both have differing sized "holes" to ensure a quick strip of all sized tails from various critters etc.

Cost from memory was a couple of quid each.

Good luck

I sent off to the states and acquired two tail strippers one aluminium and one hard plastic. Both have differing sized "holes" to ensure a quick strip of all sized tails from various critters etc.

Hi Will, and welcome to UKV.

I did almost the same as OA, Purchased a steel version from http://www.fntpost.com/

Very easy to use and ordered a few other bits as well.

ATB Steve

Always used net pegs ( most foxes were bolted or dug with terriers) or just any stick from the hedge.

If done fresh they come off very easy with any good green twig squeezed around the cut you make. Just don't cut too deep , just through the skin, or you will snap the tail off, in which case it is the vice and pliers.

Same as others have said, immerse it in meths for a couple of weeks to get the grease out out.

Well what a great response, many thanks to everyone who replied. I really value your input on the tail stripping question. Out tonight with my lamping buddy, so with a bit of luck I will be able to put your great tips to good use. Thanks again. On the subject of curing the tail I have always made up my own pickle, but I might give the mentholated spirits a go. Cheers Will

• 1 month later...

Well what a great response, many thanks to everyone who replied. I really value your input on the tail stripping question. Out tonight with my lamping buddy, so with a bit of luck I will be able to put your great tips to good use. Thanks again. On the subject of curing the tail I have always made up my own pickle, but I might give the mentholated spirits a go. Cheers Will

Archived