17 rem accuracy

Howdy,

Lately I have an itch for a point and squirt light short rifle for carrying in the tractor with me in the spring and summer months when I am mowing silage, spreading slurry, ploughing etc for crows and maybe the odd fox I sometimes see.

I usedto have an hmr and got a bit fed up of the inconsistency of the accuracy etc etc rounds veing a bit dear and so on.

I had thought of a furball but because of the mag feeding issues 17 rem looks better.

I had a flick through my lyman reloading manual lastnight to get an idea for loads and powder to see if i had any powder that would suit and in the cartridge description it said that it had accuracy issues after 10-15 rounds or somethin like that, cant remember the exact figure it stated but saying that after this it needed cleaned to get the accuracy back.

Does anyone hace any real world experience of this or is it just more crap that ruins another cartridge like the 220 swift?

Garry

Howdy,

Lately I have an itch for a point and squirt light short rifle for carrying in the tractor with me in the spring and summer months when I am mowing silage, spreading slurry, ploughing etc for crows and maybe the odd fox I sometimes see.

I usedto have an hmr and got a bit fed up of the inconsistency of the accuracy etc etc rounds veing a bit dear and so on.

I had thought of a furball but because of the mag feeding issues 17 rem looks better.

I had a flick through my lyman reloading manual lastnight to get an idea for loads and powder to see if i had any powder that would suit and in the cartridge description it said that it had accuracy issues after 10-15 rounds or somethin like that, cant remember the exact figure it stated but saying that after this it needed cleaned to get the accuracy back.

Does anyone hace any real world experience of this or is it just more crap that ruins another cartridge like the 220 swift?

Garry

Si snipe and Srslotsalot are you guys here. My research into the calibration suggests its just more crap :rolleyes:

Steve.

Hi Garry,

There are lot's of positive posts on UKV about the .17 Rem. When introduced there were a few problems but these were exaggerated by journalists and 'experts' who rolled their eyes and pontificated upon the effect of attaining over 4000 fps through such a small bore. Over the years there has been significant changes in barrel steels, bullet jackets and cleaning regimes never mind the positive effects of bullet coating. I think that half the problems previously reported were caused by lack of .17 cleaning kit that led to a build up of fouling, these days this is not a problem.

As previously mentioned, the .17 Rem. is an excellent 'point and shoot' rifle out to 250 yards. Even in a light rifle the recoil impulse is so small that hits are easily observed through the scope. My experience of the .17 Rem. has been nothing but positive,

Best regards

Alan

LONG STORY SHORT-had a .17rem for more than14yrs on 2nd bbl-i own 5other rifles in various calibres all get used for charlie-the "dirty ,unacurate after 10 rnds".17 had shot more foxes than all the others put together! :) :) :)

go figure!

Ive had my Remington VSSF 17rem for over 5 yrs now with standard barrel still shooting sweet..like any rifle you look after it and it will shoot..i wouldn't be with out a 17cal in my collection..as for always having to clean it i clean it as i do any rifle when load developing but out in the field never clean till end of the day and i do fire some rounds in that day with out any loss to accuracy.

Mick

Thanks fellas,

I had my doubts about the truth of this but I didnt expect to see a reloading manual. Its in the lyman 48th edition.

Seems no matter what calibre, there is always a critic out there to say that there is something wrong with it.

I think you all have just encouraged me to take a trip to the gunshop.

Any recommendations for a factory rife? I suppose tikka or sako?

I bet this will be the most used rifle after my 22lr, i usually take it with me out in the jeep while looking at the cattle in the grazing months but id like something that requires no range finding and no thinking in situations where i dont have much time to get that shot off and 200 yard crows will prove a nice little challenge out the window of the tractor with the rifle unsupported. Perfect little calibre for the job me thinks. :)

Garry

Well I've just got back home after spending a wonderful afternoon with the 17 rem in the winter sun - 16 shots at assorted vermin, the furthest shot being 275 yrds

It accounted for 14 head of vermin ( The other 2 shots were at small potatoes that I put on a stick at 300 yrds )

No doubt you have heard the horror stories about the 17 rem - terrible in wind - not suitable for fox - Not accurate after 10 shots - burns barrels out after 600 shots :wacko:

Its utter bo11ox.

I was first introduced to the 17 rem - about 15 yrs ago by a chap who has used nothing else since the mid 70's

At this time I used a 22.250 tikka continental. We spend the afternoon varminting side by side - Me with a 22.250 and him with the 17 rem.

I was amazed - The 17 kept up with the 22.250 all day - even when pushed past 350 yrds - the 17 rem just poleaxed bunnies.

I have been out most of today with my 17 rem and I have nothing but accolades for it.

Laser flat trejectory - no recoil , so you can watch the strike every time - accuracy is excellent even after a days shooting.

As for barrel life - well that depends how hot you run em - I use 21.5 grn of powder behind a 25 grn vmax and get 4060 fps.

IMO the will give better barrel life than a 22.250 with uses about 36 - 40grns - or a 204 R which uses 26-28 grns.

As for downsides - the biggest is obviously most manufacturers have stopped making the calibre :angry:

so you either take a chance of finding and buying a second hand one or re-barrel.

Remington cases need a sort through before reloading - there's the odd one which needs flinging.

I suppose windy days are its achillies heel - but thats true of most of the little calibres - isn't it.

Only other point I have - you need to be precise when re-loading. The 17 will spit is dummy out quite readily

A perfect cal for what your after IMO

Hope my post helps

ATB

Alan

not got a 17 rem but a rem fireball. and as the guys above said. very accurate low recoil, and can get away with a nice light rifle to carry about.

wish i would have got a 17 sooner

+1

love my fireball, almost as flat as my 22-250. the 17 is great little calibre and often under estimated, havn't had any problems with barrel fouling or finding cleaning gear etc.

rgds jock

Well I've just got back home after spending a wonderful afternoon with the 17 rem in the winter sun - 16 shots at assorted vermin, the furthest shot being 275 yrds

It accounted for 14 head of vermin ( The other 2 shots were at small potatoes that I put on a stick at 300 yrds )

No doubt you have heard the horror stories about the 17 rem - terrible in wind - not suitable for fox - Not accurate after 10 shots - burns barrels out after 600 shots :wacko:

Its utter bo11ox.

I was first introduced to the 17 rem - about 15 yrs ago by a chap who has used nothing else since the mid 70's

At this time I used a 22.250 tikka continental. We spend the afternoon varminting side by side - Me with a 22.250 and him with the 17 rem.

I was amazed - The 17 kept up with the 22.250 all day - even when pushed past 350 yrds - the 17 rem just poleaxed bunnies.

I have been out most of today with my 17 rem and I have nothing but accolades for it.

Laser flat trejectory - no recoil , so you can watch the strike every time - accuracy is excellent even after a days shooting.

As for barrel life - well that depends how hot you run em - I use 21.5 grn of powder behind a 25 grn vmax and get 4060 fps.

IMO the will give better barrel life than a 22.250 with uses about 36 - 40grns - or a 204 R which uses 26-28 grns.

As for downsides - the biggest is obviously most manufacturers have stopped making the calibre :angry:

so you either take a chance of finding and buying a second hand one or re-barrel.

Remington cases need a sort through before reloading - there's the odd one which needs flinging.

I suppose windy days are its achillies heel - but thats true of most of the little calibres - isn't it.

Only other point I have - you need to be precise when re-loading. The 17 will spit is dummy out quite readily

A perfect cal for what your after IMO

Hope my post helps

ATB

Alan

What powder are you using Alan?

vihtn135 for 20gn vmax and varget-h322 for 25gn they are the only powders i would bother with and iv bothered with a few when i first got my .17rem.

buy a 2nd hand sako or tikka in 223-222 these will rebarrel to 17rem if you can find one in factory flavour buy that-and rebarrel when it needs it.

Varget is on the shopping list, handy powder to have, very versatile.

I have a few tubs, use it in 223 so ill be giving it a try. Headin tnite for a nosey t see what my local dealer has in .17 rem.

HI - I use Vit n133.

I always got the odd unexplanable flyer when I tried Varget.

ATB

Alan i tried n133 but found 135 better and you can get more in the case as you say varget is not the best but is a versatile powder for many calibres.

Archived