hi all

has any one got a TAP for the stony point OAL gauge

This is the 5/16x36 tap Stoney Point uses. Order a 0.297 (19/64) drill as a tap drill.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/NNSRIT?PARTP...;PMPXNO=1735758

i would like to TAP out a 6.5 x 47 case

and if someone has one handy it will save me sending for one.

ATB

Colin ;)

Colin

I havent got one, but you could try Chronos or RBG in the UK, they have loads of obscure size taps.

Col

I apreciate what you are wanting to do, but it may be easier (and quicker) to use a split case to measure OAL or seat depth??

I have never seen an accuracy difference bettween the two methods providing you are careful.

If you decide for the tap a good supplier especially of odd ball stuff is,

Tracy tools

They are based somewhere in devon. They do everything by post, good service and sensible prices. I have used them a number of times, once bought some left hand drills :D;) caught a few people out with those :P:P:lol:

Paul

Ronin, Due to the extractor design in nearly all bolts and methos of case retention etc etc, there is a considerable difference in acheivable acuracy between split case and the ( Stoney Point )now Hornady kit,, using the rifles bolt is not an accurate way to measure OAL, for shoulder/ case length, the best is a case fired in the rifle in question. None of these methods are absolute, just some have a better chance of success than others, particularly for the owner.

Redfox

RF

without wishing to enter into an argument (just a difference of opinion), I have checked my method, against the Stoney Point tool in my own rifles and my mates (who was using his tool), we got nigh identical measurements when we checked a variety of chamberings (.22-250, .264's, 308's etc (well withing .001-.002")

I think, my method works equally as well as the SP / Hornady tool - (being a skin flint its cheaper too :rolleyes: )

Guest varmartin
the best and most accurate way of finding your bullet seating depth is to have a dummy chamber cut with the same reamer used to do your barrel,

Yep.. thats what I had done from `Russ Gall` in Scotland.

Martin

the best and most accurate way of finding your bullet seating depth is to have a dummy chamber cut with the same reamer used to do your barrel,

Nice idea..................

BUT how do you know it has been cut to the same length as your rifle's chamber without measuring it - and to measure it what would you use? A S.P.?

I am not really looking for an answer

M

I know but the point I was amaking was the chamber is only correct when the bolt is fitted as the length is adjusted accordingly. With a dummy you need to measure to trim to length.

Anyway I still find the easiest is by using RCBS Precision Micrometers for each cal.

I have bought all my taps and dies as well as quite a few other consumables from them for some 15 + years and can honestly say US product quality usually equals our own and is often better but is always considerably cheaper. They also make things I can never get over here such as Burnishing drills.

For US made HSS drills try Ebay.com as the US site often sells in packs of 10, 12 or even 25 and I really do find those as good as Dormer etc but at Taiwanese prices even with the cost of P&P (You need to ask them to send in the International Prepaid envelopes - 4lbs weight for $11.50)

hi all

i thought i could save a bit of time/ cash but i have decided to buy the 5/16x36 tap + the 0.297 (19/64) drill as a tap drill . and i have got a 9/16 x 20 tap coming

Thanks all

Colin :rolleyes:

PS i got them from http://www.tracytools.com/ and have one of there catalogs coming. thanks MRY, i had heard of them before but did not think they would have what i wanted, but they did :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Colin

another vote for TracyTools, I was looking for a 1/2x13 TPI ANS tap to clean up the thread on a Rem 700 bolt. I thought I would have to order across the pond but Tracy had one in stock and in my hands 24hrs later at quite a reasonable price too ;)

Hey Colin

another vote for TracyTools, I was looking for a 1/2x13 TPI ANS tap to clean up the thread on a Rem 700 bolt. I thought I would have to order across the pond but Tracy had one in stock and in my hands 24hrs later at quite a reasonable price too ;)

hi ronin

ye they get my vote. i got the stony point drill and tap and another i needed the very next day.

and the stuff is top quality.

ATB

Colin ;)

I'm surprised nobody commented on the left handed drills or did you think I was kidding :P

If you use a battery drill in reverse it is ideal for drilling out broken bolts etc, if it picks up it usually undo's ( or snaps) and also for a laugh if you use in reverse and drill your hole, then click to forwards and hand it to your mate and watch him struggle ;) ;) well it was alright for me youv'e just seen me use it :lol: :lol:

Archived