Ideas for new rifle - set up.

LONG RANGE CAPT

I'm after some thoughts on a new rifle, its for a pal of mine who's an experienced shooter and the criteria are as follows:-

He's got a 3K budget for the total package which must include the scope as well, ideally midrad - click adj.

The Caliber 6.5x47 and preferably with the a detachable AI mag system and tactical stock.

I'd thought put £500 to-wards the scope maybe Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 and spend £2500.00 on the rifle ?

What could he get rifle wise for that money ?

Kind Regards

+1 for the Sightron. I have a Bushnell 6-24x50 and I have to say, optically, it is a big disappointment and despite having the 30mm tube it only has 48moa elevation - half the adjustment of the Sightron which has very crisp glass.

As Baldie is going to start producing (hopefully) bottom metal for the Tikka 595. It might be a good place to start as these do come up for relatively small money given the quality of the action. Triggers are not bad either.

Rup

The 595 floorplate has been binned. Upon close scrutiny, the floorplate wouldn,t have been a problem. The problem is the action. The feed slot is just a bullets thickness wide. It doesn,t allow for an AICS magazines feed lips to be inserted high enough. The action could be machined to accept it, but this would be expensive, and would also necessitate a reproof of the gun. Ball park figure of around £500 to supply and fit the floorplate, machine the action and reproof.

Not financially viable.

I own 3 of the 2.5 -16 x 42 bushnells, and i rate them highly. OK, they aren,t optically as good as the sightron, but they are better made, the repeat 100% and they are half the price. I,ve seen too many broken sightrons to sell them.Mine are on gallery rifles and a CSR gun...they get abused. :lol:

£2500 will buy him a custom action, something like a border archer barrel, and maybe a pss stock etc with a dbm, no problem.

The 595 floorplate has been binned. Upon close scrutiny, the floorplate wouldn,t have been a problem. The problem is the action. The feed slot is just a bullets thickness wide. It doesn,t allow for an AICS magazines feed lips to be inserted high enough. The action could be machined to accept it, but this would be expensive, and would also necessitate a reproof of the gun. Ball park figure of around £500 to supply and fit the floorplate, machine the action and reproof.

Not financially viable.

I own 3 of the 2.5 -16 x 42 bushnells, and i rate them highly. OK, they aren,t optically as good as the sightron, but they are better made, the repeat 100% and they are half the price. I,ve seen too many broken sightrons to sell them.Mine are on gallery rifles and a CSR gun...they get abused. :lol:

£2500 will buy him a custom action, something like a border archer barrel, and maybe a pss stock etc with a dbm, no problem.

Hi

I'd point him here

http://www.dolphinguncompany.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=87&Itemid=167

Should be in his budget with the features he wants :rolleyes:

HTH

Alan

As he has a VERY tight budget for this project I would recomend him go for a .260 Rem or a 6,x5x55 in a stock Tikka T3 Varmint or Sporter.

In such case will he save som money on the barrel, as there is no reason what so ever to change barrel.

Why ever on a tight budget consider a barrelchange?

He will have a better and for the purpose superior action to the rem 700.

I would likely start off with the Varmint, and add an adjustable buttplate to get the buttplate high enogh when shooting prone.

Don't spend any money at this time on magchange, and keep what there is.

And use as much money instead on a second hand PMll or similar high quality scope.

When he have suffucient money again, I would likely go for the KRG stock and a Alutek bottommetal for steel mags.

Håkan

As he has a VERY tight budget for this project I would recomend him go for a .260 Rem or a 6,x5x55 in a stock Tikka T3 Varmint or Sporter.

In such case will he save som money on the barrel, as there is no reason what so ever to change barrel.

Why ever on a tight budget consider a barrelchange?

He will have a better and for the purpose superior action to the rem 700.

I would likely start off with the Varmint, and add an adjustable buttplate to get the buttplate high enogh when shooting prone.

Don't spend any money at this time on magchange, and keep what there is.

And use as much money instead on a second hand PMll or similar high quality scope.

When he have suffucient money again, I would likely go for the KRG stock and a Alutek bottommetal for steel mags.

Håkan

The big problem with Alutec magazine systems here Hakan, is the price.This is why i never imported any myself from your friends.

I now have a system made here at a lot less.

The magazine ability to hold ten rounds is crucial in the UK becausewe shoot a lot of PR, CSR and mcqueens as our "tactical" comps.

The floorplate conversion to the T3 will revolutionise this brand in the tactical field here.

I'm inclined to Hakan's view; step one get a (metric! :P ) PM2 -secondhand; step 2 get a T3 heavy barrel of some description. Step 3 get a mag conversion and-preferably- get it stuck into a in a tac stock like edi's at the same time; but the stock could be a follow-on step if money's expended.

Ewen has, in his armoury a lovely T3 tactical that's simply been stuck under a Hensoldt and transplanted into a McMillan A4 - it's faultless.

Archived