22/250

legion

Can the 22/250 be home loaded to produce reduced velocity rounds for use in noise sensitive areas.

How well does the calibre moderate?

What rifling twist is common to give the most versitile range of options, ie varminting, foxing and roe deer.

many thanks

What rifling twist is common to give the most versitile range of options, ie varminting, foxing and roe deer.

many thanks

Hi I have a .22-250 AI which has a 12 twist barrel and this will stabalise bullets up to 60-65 gns. The usual 14 twist barrel on a .22-250 may be a bit to slow to stabalise the slightly heavier bullets.

Cheers

Dave

I have had two .22/250 rifles since 1972 when the law banned normal stalking rifles in EIRE .

The first was a BSA CF2 with a 1 in 14 twist rate, this was an accurate piece with the 55gr bullet but did not like the heavier weights more suited to Sika etc.

My second was a Tikka HB. Continental Model 55 with a 1 in 12 twist.

This fine rifle loved the 60gr Hornady SP and the 63 gr Sierra Semi-pointed SP bullets but did not care much for the 70gr Speer. [all these bullets were very effective on Deer species, fox etc.]

The law changed in 1993 with the ceiling raised to .270 cal., further changes have been made since then and most normal cals. are permitted now, consequently there is less lost stinking game in the forests.

Downloading the .22/250 for lower velocity and less noise is fraught with problems of danger and poor performance, also bullet expansion is affected by the slower speed.

Most .22/250s will have the slower 1 in 14 twist but the 1 in 12 is better if the heavier projectile is to be used.

Can the 22/250 be home loaded to produce reduced velocity rounds for use in noise sensitive areas.

How well does the calibre moderate?

many thanks

I also have a 22-250AI, specifically built to shoot heavy for calibre bullets at extended ranges.

It is a 1-8 twist, but shoots 60g very well (albeit at 3300fps)

Now, as far as "noise sensetive areas" goes, ANY centerfire will produce a supersonic "crack" - (.22rf as well with non subs), there is no way of reducing this sonic boom, one simply has to accept it. A moderator will reduce the noise of the powder going bang, thats it, nothing more.

Ive shot .223 side by side with my 22-250, side by side with 300wm all moderated, they all make "similar" amounts of noise with the cans on - without a can is an entirely different matter ;)

What I am trying to say is that even a moderated reduced load 22-250 is going to disturb the neighbors, unless that is you can get the bulets subsonic.

Now to reduce loads to the extent one has a quiet centerfire is fraught with danger - reduced loads can lead to excessive chamber pressure and IMHO not worth even trying to do with such a small calibre round - if you want quiet, use subs in a .22RF.

Another thing to consider is that if you are going sub sonic with a CF roiund, then ballistically, it will be no better than a .22RF, and well, again we return to the "why bother" argument.

Reduced loads are really interesting, but I don't think what you want to achieve is feasable or safe to consider.

I recall however some work done by Bruce Potts ten years ago with a .308, reverse seated bullets loaded to subsonic velocity for foxing that were quite effective.......

Hope this assists?

I saw a subsonic aw.308 a couple of weeks ago, and yes it was very quiet, but it took the bullet , what seemed an age, to hit the 100 metre butt. I couldn,t see the point really, it had an effective range of a couple of hundred yards, and a trajectory like a rainbow. Urban foxing ;) Jesus no, imagine the riccochet,s off that bugger! :blink:No expansion, because its too big, and too slow, so pass through,s can be guaranteed virtually.Its use, is what its made for...taking out perimeter guards etc, in covert ops.Interesting, and different however.

Archived