Another Shehane success story

Elwood

I wished it was always this easy, thanks to everyone with the information regarding load development.

313 neck

308 bushing giving me a loaded round of 309.5

H 4831 SC

Berger 180 Hybrid, pointed, seated 15 thou off the lands

CCI BR-2 primers

Lapua 6.5x284 brass.

I was really pushed for time for the load development as I have a competition this Sunday, so I had to strike gold quickly.

I managed to get out on Wednesday with winds gusting from 20-30 mph but at least it was dry, I started off with 56.7 grains of H4831 sc and moved up in .3 grain intervals.

Mostly 3 shot groups at 100 yards, no barrel break in! There are 3 loads that look like they are worth a second look, 57,57.3 and 58.2 The black dots are 1/2 inch

PICT0018-1.jpg

Todays weather was much better as these 5 shot groups prove, again all at 100 yards, black dots 3/4 inch

From L - R 57gr, 57.3 and 58.2

PICT0015-2.jpg

I'm now split between 57.3 and 58.2, so I have decided to load 50 of each and test them at Bisley tomorrow at 300/600 yards, which ever shoots the tightest vertical groups is the load I will use for the competition on Sunday.

No chronograph data as on Wednesday the f***** wind kept blowing it over and today all I got was an error message every shot.

Well a very interesting day at Bisley, it has to be said that conditions were good for load testing although it was bloody cold. There was just enough wind to catch you out if you weren't concentrating.

600 yards F class target, using 57.3 grains, this is the load I will go with for now as the vertical was superb. I stopped after 10 shots as I found what I was looking for, and to save the ammo for Sundays match.

PICT0020.jpg

600 yards F class target using 58.2 grains. On shots 12-15 I just started to get a bit of vertical, so I stopped shooting for 5 minutes. Shots 17&18 were V bulls and shots 16&19 just off but in the 5 ring, shots 20&21 climbed again! But it's still a very respectable 97.9 which on the 600 yard target isn't to shabby.

PICT0021.jpg

The real star of today however was my 22BR, this is my foxing rifle built on a Stiller Predator action, Border 1-12 twist barrel, AI stock and Jewell trigger and a NF 5.5-22x56 and a NP-R2 ret.

At 300 yards on the F class target (1 1/2 V bull) I scored a 75.11 and on the standard NRA target I scored a 75.15, I have to say it trounced the .284 Shehane at this distance

Archived