Just sat waiting for a fox and thought I would have a go at ranging the old fashioned way. I have the above scope, what power must it be on in order to range things using the mil dots?

TVM

FF

I worked it out to be half full power or 12.5x. This is anoying as there is no mark at that exact point on the magnification scale. Lots of people told me it would be full power. I tested it ranging a target board of known size at 600 meters, it was dead on. I cant see schmidt changing it. Hope that help.

Dan.

Is it first or second focal plane?

On second, its usually 10 power on virtually every scope i,ve ever seen with true mildots ?

On first, it doesn,t matter what power you use.

Edit, just spotted the 2nd focal plane bit in the header. :lol:

Hi,

If you go to the Schmidt & Bender website you can download a pdf file for the PMII scopes. With the description of the mildot reticles there are reticle dimensions and an explanation that for ranging the values are valid at 25X, hope this helps,

Alan

Hi,

If you go to the Schmidt & Bender website you can download a pdf file for the PMII scopes. With the description of the mildot reticles there are reticle dimensions and an explanation that for ranging the values are valid at 25X, hope this helps,

Alan

I was told that before I bought my scope but found them the be accurate at 10 power. could there be 2 models? 1 accurate at 25 and another at 10? Personally I prefer them accurate at 10 power as the reticule subtentions would be pretty big relative to the target if accurate at 25 in sfp and you can still range at 20 power easily if required.

Hi,

Alan

Hi Alan, after a look on the S&B website, i cant find the PDF.. Have you got a link?

Jeez radians are giving me a headache!!

Its funny because i remember at school completely 'zoning out' as radians were discussed to the point i had no clue about them until getting my first MIL scope. I find MOA intuitive but think this is because i learned nav during training. the whole D:M:S and nautical miles etc just works.

Anyways, MIL is fine if your going to do everything in Meters but this goes against the grain with me again!

I shall have to 'suck it up' and get on with it. Rant over!

One way to know for sure- Try it out, can be long winded though -_- .

Put out a target of know size at an exact distance (verified with a laser rangefinder as even firing ranges oftern surprise people when they discover many are in meters not yards), then measure the mils at different mags. I found the schmidt manual a bit 'universal' designed to cover the whole PM2 range not a specific model.

Dan.

One way to know for sure- Try it out, can be long winded though -_- .

Put out a target of know size at an exact distance (verified with a laser rangefinder as even firing ranges oftern surprise people when they discover many are in meters not yards), then measure the mils at different mags. I found the schmidt manual a bit 'universal' designed to cover the whole PM2 range not a specific model.

Dan.

Short winded way would be to tape a centimetre ruler up on a fence at a measure 10 metres;

& simply find the mag at which one mil is exactly 1cm.

- easy to do -and of course, the scope focusses down to 10m :)

Short winded way would be to tape a centimetre ruler up on a fence at a measure 10 metres;

& simply find the mag at which one mil is exactly 1cm.

- easy to do -and of course, the scope focusses down to 10m :)

Yep, or you could just do that. :-), its to easy though.

Archived