How far will Mr Reynard carry his catche

mr moley

Had a look out at 4pm today over a valley in the middle of nowhere nearest dewelling 3/4 of a mile away which carry no livestock and spied a dog fox down in the bottom of the valley carrying what I thought was one of my partridges.

Duly sqeaked to a standstill and bingo. a minute later a smaller dog fox came out of the same cover and he got the same good news. (.223 BT) approx 120 yds.

On inspection the bird turned out to be a med sized Rhode island red hen chicken and all it had was a couple of deep puncture wounds in the chest and a snapped wing, although popping its clogs it was still very fresh, only thing is, there are no hens or stock of any descripion in any direction for well over a mile.

Have not a clue where the bird came from, wasn't as though old charlie boy was going back home, he was just getting started on the nights work,by the looks of things, bit strange that time of day ? and the distance for that type of catch, would have thought he would have laid up with the hen nearer the catch area, by which time it would have been long gone due to the injuries by the time he got to the place I see him.

Mr Moley,

I've read several reports over the years that say foxes can travel up to 40 miles and more during the night, I know this doesn't explain your foxes activities but I'm sure they must be starting to hunt during the day now it's starting to get colder.

I suppose it would take a fox a fraction of the time it would take us to walk a mile.

Andy

i once shot a vixen that was full of ripe plums whaen i asked the land owner where the nearest plum tree was he had to think hard "as far as i know the nearest tree is about a mile away"

so she travelled 2 miles to get a good feed.

I know where i shoot, from what i have seen a fox will travel at least a mile (as the crow flies) for a feed on a known carcass.

Probably farther but i cant find the ordnance survey map.

Had a good look around today in daylight, no other food found buried or hid away, I can only guess they were out and about through the day and laid up somewhere near a coop and picked em off as and when. we haven't really had any severe weather or frosts down here to tighten up the food availability.

Just seems the country foxes are learning from the town fox and taking every opportunity as available, I get more reports now of foxes seen during the day than at night - evolution ?

We had a fox drive recently and two foxes were shot, a dog and a vixen. The vixen looked pupped up, she was that big around the middle. When we opened her up, she was full of chinese takeaway, ie, noodles, chow mein and rice etc. She was absolutely bursting with it. I shot a fox last tuesday night and when we got to the fallen dog fox, he was lay across a freshly killed brown hare. I wondered why he didn't move when I clattered about with the sticks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 6.5 X 55

Farmer called me last week said a EWE had died, I couldnt get there until the following night and the carcass had been picked clean, not a single morcel left and half the bones had gone. there arent many foxes around this piece of land due to me keeping well on top of them but this had to have been hammered by more than 1. It had also been dragged 10 yards. Did see one fox but as soon as the lamp wehn near him (on lowest setting and red filter)he was on his toes. have put a few rabbits out to bait but they havent been touched since (probably full of sheep!!) They must have come from a good way I recon.

I believe that they can travel upto 25 miles in one night???

Not a fact just a lot of talks with older foxing people!!!

Have sat on top of a mountain and watched them go for miles in a very short time,,,,

Were foxes are concerned nothing would surprise me,,,, Now that is a fact

Darrel

Archived