204 custom barrel

palo

Hi

I would like to rebarrel my 204 rifle with a 1/10 or 1/11 twist custom barrel.

What brand of barrel should I go for ?

Border and Lothar walther both make a 1/10 twist or should I go for one of the american made barrels ?

PacNor in 1:11 from Neil McKillop - worked for me.

Tony

Baldie Dave fitted a 1:10 Archer R4 26" to mine last year, hates 32 vmax's but shoots 39 bk and 40 nosler very tight.

Did some test runs with 50 berger and N140 tight groups at 150M but need to stretch it out a bit further.

Assuming you dont want to use it in comps then any of the well known names should do well. On my 20 I have a bartlien, when I target shoot it it shoots in the .2s and aggs in the low 4s off a bipod despite its indifferent pointer. I also have rifles with Shilen and Pac nor barrels, all work well.

A

I have a .20Tac built by Neil on a pacnor which shoots a dream. Very happy with the barrel and service from Neil.

I can also vouch for border barrels Archer's barrels. My 6mmbr built by Ronin is on the money.

In all honesty I will buy a barrel soley based on availability when it comes to custom. Unless you are top light competition shooter you won't notice the difference.

Thanks for the replies.

A pac-nor 1/11 twist seems to be a popular choice in the UK and the US so im leaning towards that.

One gunsmith I spoke to recommended a lothar walther 1/10 twist but I never heard anything about them.

hi palo

have a pac nor on my 17 fireball and a lother walther on my 22-250, both are very accurate easy to clean barrels and would recomend either

rgds jock

• 2 weeks later...

i have a border barrel on my .204,love it i am syill learning but it shoots between .25 - .40 @ 100 and i am sure i will improve on that with more experience.it was 26 inch 'just chopped it to 22 " no loss in accuracy lost 100 fps per inch now shoots 3450 fps accuratley again i am sure a more experienced loader would get much better.atb mike

I have a 20tac, Lilja 1/11 twist 22.5". Shoots better than I can hold it( 1.25" at 300m) and puts a 40vmax out very comfortably at 3620fps. Longer barrels are a pain if you're foxing all night and getting in and out of a pickup 40+ times, but if its mostly a prone rifle and you want to shoot a long way go 24-26".

You'll love it whatever way you go, the 20's are brilliant tools!

ATB

Mike

Archived