barrel changing question

1967spud

what anti seize compound would you use to put on barrel threads when ytou are rebarreling ?

im thnking copper slip but are there better /different / more suited meterails to use

I use DAG when swapping out barrels on my T2k, stainless to stainless threading can result in cold welding if over torqued. DAG will prevent galling and cold welding in most cases and is used by my team at work when assembling stainless steel reactor system components.

Hi Spud,

It's all too easy to get hung up about action/barrel seizing but any quality anti-seize grease will do the job. Bostik (of glue fame) make 2 grades of anti seize compound, Brownells sell their own and Ambersil do a high temperature copper anti-seize. Other than Brownells the above are available from tool suppliers such as Buck and Hickman, hope this is of some help,

Regards

Alan

Copper Slip, or Tru Guard (made is US by Tru Coat and sold by Sinclair) are the two I use.

Just unscrewed a 7mm WSM which I built two years ago for a friend - no galling whatsoever (copper slip)

Copper Slip, or Tru Guard (made is US by Tru Coat and sold by Sinclair) are the two I use.

Just unscrewed a 7mm WSM which I built two years ago for a friend - no galling whatsoever (copper slip)

just ordinary copper slip andy?

Yep.

I use a small tube rather than the big (automotive) tins you can get (with brush) for barrels - only a small amount needed.

Archived