600 yard group

ANDY T

Hi

What would you say was a good group size at 600 yards using a 308 rifle.

Not looking for the wold record just what size group you would be happy with as a shooter and consider a good group in your mind.

regards

Andy

As a general rule anything under 1/2 moa I'm happy with, (custom rifle,prone, with bipod) Nice to get better than that but I don't consider myself that good a shot so anything better I put down to luck.

That all depends on the rifle and the equipment used, if it was a custom target rifle FTR or FO I would want at the very least half MOA.

Hi I was just looking to find out what shooters would be happy with with any rifle and set up, but if you want details.

Rifle Tactical Unique Alpine TPG1 308 1/10

Load SMK 190 N140 powder 42.5g COAL 2800

Scope Schmidt and Bender 12-50x56

Andy

When guys speak of X-MOA groups at 600+ yds, they are normally referring to the vertical dispersion. Unless you are shooting in very calm conditions, the group will be horizontal in shape because of the wind drift.

Chris-NZ

Guest richness

Hi

What would you say was a good group size at 600 yards using a 308 rifle.

Not looking for the wold record just what size group you would be happy with as a shooter and consider a good group in your mind.

regards

Andy

God it really depends. In my 6.5x47 with Scenars, a good group in my mind as you say at 600y would be 3" It's a hell of a long way for me off a bipod and with the wind/mirage etc...3" would be pleasing. I know it's only half moa but half moa gets harder the further out you go! ;) Yep 3" in good weather and 4 or even 5" normally (because where I normally would shoot 600y there is no such thing as good weather;) I know rabbitfingers and elwood and brown dog and such other target jedis can get their 6.5x47s to do tricks at 600y :D But me I'd be fairly stoked with 3"

God it really depends. In my 6.5x47 with Scenars, a good group in my mind as you say at 600y would be 3" It's a hell of a long way for me off a bipod and with the wind/mirage etc...3" would be pleasing. I know it's only half moa but half moa gets harder the further out you go! ;) Yep 3" in good weather and 4 or even 5" normally (because where I normally would shoot 600y there is no such thing as good weather;) I know rabbitfingers and elwood and brown dog and such other target jedis can get their 6.5x47s to do tricks at 600y :D But me I'd be fairly stoked with 3"

I'm about as far from a 'Target jedi' as it's possible to get. :lol: Just for the record, I'm not saying I achieve 1/2 moa at 600yards regularly( far from it) just that I'm 'happy' with it if I do.

When guys speak of X-MOA groups at 600+ yds, they are normally referring to the vertical dispersion. Unless you are shooting in very calm conditions, the group will be horizontal in shape because of the wind drift.

Chris-NZ

Is this right? I talk about the group size including windage.. Completely agree with what you say Chris but would be interested to see whether people do as you say they do?

Field conditions , I'm pleased with 1 to 1.5 moa

If everything is on my side I'd be delighted with 1/2moa , don't forget that is a plopping all your shots on a tea cup at 600 yds not too shabby I'd say ?!

Try shooting 3 groups , averaging the group size then next time your shooting try to repeat that performance ? You will find in time that your average group size will improve by doing this practice .

Watch that wind !

I recently won a local club comp with two 10 shot groups of about 3.5 inches each @ 300yds with my .308.

This was shooting against some reasonably accomplished shooters so don't give up if you can't get cloverleaf groups on a target in the next county!

At 300yds+ wind reading skills start to become very important and are essential to complement an accurate rifle

Rup

I recently won a local club comp with two 10 shot groups of about 3.5 inches each @ 300yds with my .308.

This was shooting against some reasonably accomplished shooters so don't give up if you can't get cloverleaf groups on a target in the next county!

At 300yds+ wind reading skills start to become very important and are essential to complement an accurate rifle

Rup

Hi rup

wht 308 have ugot mate?

cheers Andy

Hiya Andy

I have a Choate stocked Savage FTR in .308. It shoots OK but I reckon your old Parker Hale would out shoot it at most modest ranges! The FTR excels at 1000yds with it's 30" barrel and I have a few cracking good loads worked up for it.

Rup

Hiya Andy

I have a Choate stocked Savage FTR in .308. It shoots OK but I reckon your old Parker Hale would out shoot it at most modest ranges! The FTR excels at 1000yds with it's 30" barrel and I have a few cracking good loads worked up for it.

Rup

ahhh right

rings a bell now i thought u just had the 223 but its clicked now!

i like the savages rifles shoot very well!

I have fine tuned my 308 load & its shooting very well at the mo

amazing what a lee hand press in the field will do to a proven load!

had some mad 330yd groups last time out!

cheers Andy

Archived