Frustration

tony

I have some Lapua 123gr scenars for some target shooting now and again, I am using a Sako 75 s/s syn so not a target rifle.

I have been loading with vhint n160 at 44.8gr but only finding a 3/4" group at 100yds and black powder residue down side of case,,, not very good so tried 45.1grs, not quite as much powder residue on side of case but now have slight pressure marks on base of case, still only 3/4" group.

These loads are from the Lapua target loading information site.

I am giving up using this powder and want to try what I have of the following powders....vhint140. Varget. Reloader19.

Can anyone advise me on a recommended load for any of these please.

Would appreciate any help, thanks Tony.

A caliber would help?

Pressume a 6.5 of some flavour.

Probably you need a slightly faster powder to get obturation.

Cheers

Dave

6.5x55 dave sez so in the title

Hi Tony, what primer are you using? Try Rem 9.5 if you're not using them already, the N160 performs a lot better with hotter than standard primers. You should see a marked improvement in group size

over a standard CCI200 or similar. My best load in 6.5x55 was 46grn N160, 9.5 Primer, Sierra 120grn prohunter, lapua brass and COL 3",this was in a Blaser 6.5x55 and a Tikka 695.

Usual applies, start about 44grn and work up in .3grn steps.

I've been using N160 (49gn) behind a Sierra PH 120gn with a CCIBR2 with no problem (could go up to 50.5 and still hold .4 three shot groups with the previous barrel, haven't gone that far with the new one) on my Sako 75 Hunter with a sporter weight barrel. However, I think that anything above 120gn benefits from 4350 powders and 4831. Accurate 4350 and H4381SC being particularly good. That said, I have seen excellent performance with both Tikkas and Sakos with 46gn Viht N160 and 140gn SSTs...

These issues aside, I see little wrong with a 3/4inch group for a hunting rifle...

Finman

Archived