advice on caliber and rifle wanted

h i all

i am thinking of getting a bigger caliber for long range in either 6.5x 55 or 308 but i love long barrells of the heavy varmint type but cant find any thing in 6.5 x55 are there any available or would i have to find one with a light barrel and have it rebarreld also wot twist rate is best for 6.5 x55 and wot twist best for 308 minimum 26in barrell also out of the two which is the better caliber the 308 dosent seem to be a problem in barrell length as remmy do them in 700 series its the 6.5 that puzzles me your thoughts please gents :wacko: regards B L S

ive gopt a 30 inch barrel on a 6.5-284 on a sako which was retro fitted , so what i am saying get the action then get it rebarrelled in the calibre you want with the profile and barrel length you think you need

what are you shooting at long range mate

BLS,

As above, better off finding a good used base rifle then have it rebarreled, then the cartridge, twist, length and profile is completly down to what you want to get out of the rifle.

Your starting question should be, as Spud asked, what do you want it to do for you (it is only a tool after all :) ) then work back, talking to folks you trust and with the gunsmith you choose to do your work.

This way your rifle (and hard earnt cash invested) is not wasted.

Cheers Terry

h i all

i am thinking of getting a bigger caliber for long range in either 6.5x 55 or 308 but i love long barrells of the heavy varmint type but cant find any thing in 6.5 x55 are there any available or would i have to find one with a light barrel and have it rebarreld also wot twist rate is best for 6.5 x55 and wot twist best for 308 minimum 26in barrell also out of the two which is the better caliber the 308 dosent seem to be a problem in barrell length as remmy do them in 700 series its the 6.5 that puzzles me your thoughts please gents :wacko: regards B L S

I am personally biased toward the 260 Remington and would have chosen it over the 308 Win that I got as my first custom rifle if I did things over. Not that my 308 isn't a really nice gun BUT the 260 has better ballistics and way less recoil and I feel it is inherently more accurate.....just my experiences. Talk to Baldie on this forum about options but I think that he would also steer you away from the 6.5 x 55..... everyone has their own favourite calibre but the older ones are not always what you might have chosen given a full view of options.

hi all

thanks for the replys in answer to spud i would be shooting at targets and fruit for a long time i got the opportunity for long cross valley shots with nice safe backstops in answer to terry i want somthing deer legal cal that will also double up at longer ranges as i want to do DSC 1and 2 and as dave t says i may have to at some stage talk to dave at valkyrie because i dont want to end up with a multitude of weapons ie one for this an one for that i believe in the saying one rifle and learn how to use it my idea of a beautifull looking rifle is the parker hale M85 and if i end up having to talk to valkyrie about having somthing built around an action my 223 bvss will have to go to help finance a new rifle as for caliber i always thought 308 to be a good general hard hitting round used by several deer shooting people but hey everyone to his own that what makes this forum so interesting best regards B L S :)

6.5x47

6x47

6.5x55

260 rem

then improve any of the above for an oustanding calibre as a do all gun

Archived