25-06

Redfox

Redfox

I have had my 25-06 for about 2 years now and i would not be without it.

Its a tikka t3 heavy barrel with a set trigger and t8 mod.

I am probably going to get some stick for this but it is easily more accurate than my tikka 595 in 243(no mod on the 595)

Its deer legal,flat shooting and recoil is not a problem.

Powder usage may be an issue i am currenly using 57 grains of h 4350 pushing a 75 grain v-max at 3518 fps.

I am not sure on barrel life i would guess at 3 to 4000.

There seems to be plenty of bullets on the market in this cal.

As far as i know lapua dont do cases in this cal mine are relcom £43 per 100(i think)

This rifle was bought as a deer rifle but its now used as a long range varminter.

Hope this helps

Andy

I have an older Ruger 77 HB . I used 75 gr Winchester match , 100 gr Speer hp and 115 Nosler bullets in that Douglas barrel until I left some Robla Solo in for 1/2 hr while eating dinner one night . The 75 gr went 3690 fps -the 100 gr 3290 -and 115 2950 + .

Today you have a much better selection of bullets - 87 gr Speer TNT - Randy Robinetts match grade bullets and the Barnes X with the grooves . Berger bullets are widely available and definately worth the money spent -email Walt Berger and ask his opinion .

If I were to get another .25/06 barrel for this action I would get a .282 neck and neck turn my brass to fit the chamber.

Use Forster dies and have them hone the neck.

If this will used just for varmints try a .240 Weatherby chamber with a tight neck .

Or how about a .25 Br on lapua 6 Br brass necked up ? .25 X 47 Imp perhaps ? Do a search on Benchrest.com for some 25 caliber accuracy stuff .

Glenn

Guest 308Panther

Nothin wrong with doin a 25-06...

I have dreamed of one for a few years now.

Awesome varmint cartridge.And a good deer round too.

Very flat shooting...trajectory is between that of a .22-250 and .243

If I hadnt come across my Black Rifle that is what I would be shooting.

308Panther

Thanks for the info lads, really wetted my appetite again for one of these, I may look for a s/h long action and as suggested get a custom barrel and chamber it accordingly. Not that bothered about powder usage but what it does, there are a lot more bullets now, I hadnt realised the choice that is available. Now then pencil out, wife doesnt really need a new bathroom and that carpet has a load of life left in it yet............................... ;)

redfox

RF

have had 25-06 for over eight years now in both standard and custom guises.

As a deer calibre is is a phenomenal all rounder especially with 117 Hor BT Interlock and 100 grain Speer hot cores circa 3000fps for both, very flat trajectory, easy to load, less recoil than a 270 and very accurate.

I dont use it for foxes, but my own has levelled some pretty large red beasties without ever requiring follow up.

One of the calibres that I will never get rid of. If you want to try one, just ask, you know where I am.

I go along with all the above comments and still use mine occasionally but before you make up your mind also look at the 25WSSM.

I bought one last year and my 25-06 is now for sale. The 25WSSM doesnt really out perform it in the field but does just on paper, however for me it is the best thing since sliced bread. The (extra) short action means the bolt just cannot catch the bridge of my nose when taking a fast 2nd shot like the LAction 25-06 does. (I shoot lefthanded)

It is fine for deer, as is the 25-06, and I feel even better at long range for Hare / Fox control.

Do take a look.

hi redfox

decisions decisions had the same ones myself 243,270,6.5x55 25-06 too many choices not enough money plumped for the 25-06 bought a mannlicher made up with the choice everything iv'e shot at has fell in a heap with minimal meat damage won't change now

ps. easy to load plenty of options does like a bit of powder compared to some but hey a pound a pop deer stalking is the least of your worries ;)

Hello what can i say it's all been said & i have & love my tika695 s/sy.I have now put a few keepers onto this round after seeing mine in action on some long roe/reds on the hill.As stated the 25-06 likes powder but is fun to shoot & bullet choice is good i work between 75g v-max/speer 87g TNT/hornaday 100g Int-lok & tryed the winchester silvertip (nosler 115g BT) with it's lub-box coating & it was a great round & flat.My mate north of me got an sps remmy in 25-06 & cant look back & he's went through rifles no end.

• 2 weeks later...
a pound a pop deer stalking is the least of your worries :lol:

Is that for factory loads or home loads? Sorry if the question seems stupid, but I load my own .223 for about 25p a round, and factory loads are often over £1 a pop.

Badsworth

Reload 25-06 costs about 30p per bang - a bit extra if you dont re-use cases :lol:

A friend of mine is a gamekeeper and he has asked me to help him keep down the non-trophy deer on his estate if I get a suitable calibre rifle. He has recommended 25-06. He shoots absolutely brilliantly with his, but I was a bit put off by the likely life of the barrel. His Sako 75 is starting to lose accuracy after only about 1500 rounds! However, as a 'professional' he fires a couple of hundred rounds a month, and he uses pretty 'hot' reloads (around 4,000 fps) . As an amateur, I think the barrel will last me the rest of my shooting career and he has convinced me - especially if I can find one of the growing number of rifles with interchangeable barrels.

You pays your money and you takes your choice - but I think 25-06 is an excellent round for both fox and deer.

B

Guest 308Panther

Like ya said...

Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

An alternative to the 25-06 for may be the .270

or possibly a .308 abit hot for fox,but ya aint gonna eat them.

If your considering using your friends reloads,they may/may not

be a hassle for you....It will all depend on his loading procedures.

As the brass will be formed to the chamber of his rifle.

So full length sizing of the brass is a needed step in order for them

to work in your rifle.

Also...

Every rifle shoots differant.Even if the rifling twist is identical.

You rifle may not group well with his loads.

Keep an open mind..and dont get discouraged workin up a load for your rifle.

308Panther

Bads,

To say 4000fps out of a 25-06 is hot as an understatement, more like "molten" comes to mind :lol:

With all due respect to your buddy i think he is having you on with the velocities.

Loaded to moderate speed with heavy bullets the 25-06 is an astounding killer and well up to the job in hand.

Ian.

BLC-2 plus Hornady 75gr Vmax and a 30 + barrel it might just be possible.

Being serious though I did find I could push the speeds way above expected with both H4350 and BLC-2 with both Nosler 70gn HP (now obsolete) and Hornady 75gn although I was still a couple of hundred fps short of the above.

However, as a 'professional' he fires a couple of hundred rounds a month,

Whats he banging away at? Most keepers I know are shooting a box to a box and a half a month. Thats one hell of a lot of foxes and deer.

Yes 4,000 fps (if accurate) is right at the top end of what is safe. I plan on working up my own load and starting with something much milder. I will probably never come near that limit - I'd like my barrel to last a bit longer than 1500 rounds.

'What is he banging away at' - well just about everything really, and some target shooting too. He still loves shooting as much as he ever did, and shooting for a living has not spoiled the pleasure. I think his quarry range is quite wide but like most keepers I don't think he will be going into detail!!!!

B

Guest 308Panther

If your a good friend, you would suggest a good vitamin supplement to increase

the amount of iron in your friends diet.

Rifle bolts are hard to chew and require surgery to remove

from the cheekbone.

I would stick to commercial loads if you want to maximize your barrel life

and your own breathing ability.

308Panther

Archived