Syndicated range ownership 'pipedream'?

DaveT

I live near Cirencester in Glos and the only ranges available to me are not exactly on the doorstep...... One is at Severnside over the Severn bridge and a good hour and a bit drive away....good range and the owner is a really nice bloke as are the members so I would never give it up .... but its 200 yards max.

Other than that its Bisley at some 70 odd miles away or a ludicrously expensive one (£30 / hour) only 6 miles away but that is only 100 yards anyway.

My final option is Warminster MOD which I do shoot with Offas Dyke club and my 338 LM but they only book at the full 900 metres so again I get no intermediate distance shooting.....my drop tables go 100 yards / 200 yards .....1000 yards for all my rifles!!!

I wonder if anyone has ever looked into forming a syndicate to buy / rent a piece of land and construct a range of say 300 yards or more ..... also wonder if costs are just plain prohibitive....as the topic title suggests this is no more than thinking out loud at present but any experiences / comments would be welcomed to see if its worth digging a little deeper into feasibility. I guess that Range Specs / prerequisites etc can be had online or from the NRA / Police?

Any views?

If you would like to shoot at Warminster at shorter distances I shoot there with Wessex RC. They shoot once a month alternating between Warminster and Bulford ranges. PM me if your interested. The next shoot is the 12th Nov at Warminster IR2

We have also looked at getting/setting up our own range but finding a suitable piece of land with an amenable land owner is proving difficult. Especially around here where most of the land is MoD owned.

If you would like to shoot at Warminster at shorter distances I shoot there with Wessex RC. They shoot once a month alternating between Warminster and Bulford ranges. PM me if your interested. The next shoot is the 12th Nov at Warminster IR2

We have also looked at getting/setting up our own range but finding a suitable piece of land with an amenable land owner is proving difficult. Especially around here where most of the land is MoD owned.

Rich,

I'd be interested in the wessex shoot; I'm not shooting enough and something local and easy to get to would be neat. Do the meets cater for precision plinking at varied distances or are they one-distance & gallery rifle oriented?

I live near Cirencester in Glos and the only ranges available to me are not exactly on the doorstep...... One is at Severnside over the Severn bridge and a good hour and a bit drive away....good range and the owner is a really nice bloke as are the members so I would never give it up .... but its 200 yards max.

Other than that its Bisley at some 70 odd miles away or a ludicrously expensive one (£30 / hour) only 6 miles away but that is only 100 yards anyway.

My final option is Warminster MOD which I do shoot with Offas Dyke club and my 338 LM but they only book at the full 900 metres so again I get no intermediate distance shooting.....my drop tables go 100 yards / 200 yards .....1000 yards for all my rifles!!!

I wonder if anyone has ever looked into forming a syndicate to buy / rent a piece of land and construct a range of say 300 yards or more ..... also wonder if costs are just plain prohibitive....as the topic title suggests this is no more than thinking out loud at present but any experiences / comments would be welcomed to see if its worth digging a little deeper into feasibility. I guess that Range Specs / prerequisites etc can be had online or from the NRA / Police?

Any views?

i've seen this a number of times before , you will need land with an amenable owner and as for getting any help from the nra/police , forget it ! although you don't actually need there help unless building a range you are going to hire out and then you will need all the danger zone specs .

try speaking to andrew at WMS in wales he may be able to point you in the right direction ?

good luck !

I've got copies o the danger zone specs but it is the land and more importantly the land owner that is difficult to find.

BD, the shoots are varied. The next one on the 12th is the internal F-Class style comp so it will be 300 and 600yds. Usually though one detail will shoot the comp and one detail will be a fun shoot unless everyone wants to do the comp.

When it is not a comp day it is fairly relaxed and we usually split into a short range and a long range detail, taking turns in the butts. Depending on what everyone wants to do we usually shoot 2 distances and if time allows possibly 3. So the long range detail may shoot 300, 500 and 600 yds.

Archived