new brass question

BOB LEE SWAGGER

hi all i have been reloading cases from factory ammo that i purchased and all has gone well i got my load sorted and i want to stretch her legs a bit i bought some new 223 lapua brass now do i just load up an seat the bullet or must i neck or fully resize first youre advice please gents :blink: regards B L S

Hiya mate,

Just run them up through the die that you have been using previsely for you old brass mate, then just crack on.

Steve.

I don't full size new lapua brass but do run the expander ball through to open the neck up a bit. The new brass has more tension than I use.

I would also load a couple of rounds below your load worked up in different brass just to check for pressure, depending on how stable your load is you may need to tweak it a bit to get it to shoot again. FWIW a mate of mine recently saw 70fps+ difference in velocity and 2 inch change in POI just by changing the brass.

Depends if your original load was a near maximum load. If it was and the new Lapua brass has a smaller internal volume then reloading with your original load may cause over pressure. Best to check first with fired cases from your rifle.

I don't full size new lapua brass but do run the expander ball through to open the neck up a bit. The new brass has more tension than I use.

I would also load a couple of rounds below your load worked up in different brass just to check for pressure, depending on how stable your load is you may need to tweak it a bit to get it to shoot again. FWIW a mate of mine recently saw 70fps+ difference in velocity and 2 inch change in POI just by changing the brass.

I agree.....no need to resize Lapua brass but I do put a calibre-specific K&M expander mandrel through the neck first and then neck size to .001'' tension with a Redding Bushing die.... Lapua brass seems to come with very tight neck tension!

Archived