Trainee Shooters and the law

DaveT

I should probably know the answer to this but am not certain so here goes!!!

I want to take my son target shooting but he does not have an FAC yet.

If I get him probationary club membership then presumeably he is 'OK' to use my rifles whilst I am present?

Dave,

For target shooting with a HO club that uses MOD ranges there is a prescribed Probationary course or a substitute course submitted by the club for approval by the NRA.

Now most clubs will (should?) allow a prospective member to 'have a go' before applying as a probationer and parting with any money. The secretary has to submit to the local plod the name and details of any new applicant to see if they are acceptable to the plod i.e. has a criminal record or is prevented from shooting/handling firearms etc.

Also, in theory, any new member has to be proposed by someone who has known him for at least 2 years.

As it is your son at your club using your rifles then most of the above's covered, it is up to your club secretary if he wants to go thru' the whole process re. telling the plod.

Hope this helps out.

Terry

Here are the rules:

You MUST be a member of an Home Office approved club to 'have a go'. (Stalking, estate rifles, open days etc. excepted).

'Member' includes 'probationary member'.

You don't NEED to be proposed by anyone to join an Home Office approved club but each club will have its own rules.

Every applicant must be vetted by the police force in whose area the club lies.

Probationary membership may be waived in the case of Police Officers or members of the armed forces.

New members must complete the NRA approved probationary course if they ever intend to shoot on a military range - otherwise, the club's own course will suffice but must include instruction on safe gun handling.

Vince

Vince,

Agree they must at least be a probationary member i.e. filled in the application, but we do not take/demand funds until the second attendance, saves time wasters. The application states a few legal items and declarations.

Disagree re. proposor.

Requirements for being a HO registerd club clearly states that 'anyone who applies for membership must be sponsored by at least one full club member;' See section 18.13 of HO guidance, paragraph 17.

The two year bit is our interpretaion of being 'known' to the member sponsoring them, if it came to anything serious we thought it sensible to applying the same criteria as a referee for a FAC. You look a bit silly in court saying you recommended a guy you met down the pub last Friday :lol:

Brgds Terry

Requirements for being a HO registerd club clearly states that 'anyone who applies for membership must be sponsored by at least one full club member;' See section 18.13 of HO guidance, paragraph 17.

So how do you deal with a stranger with no FAC, who arrives, wanting to take up shooting and join your club?

Vince

Vince,

According to the HO rules he can't become a full member unless sponsored by someone - this is unambiguous I'm afraid, not really much I can do about this even though it is very restrictive and unfair towards shooting, but it does follow the basic principle of club membership in that shooters vet shooters in the first instance and not the plod (apart from the basic background checks).

Our two year rule is for someone bringing a 'friend' along - we ask the club member direct 'are you happy to recomend him' - it is our only pre-filter and basically our responsability as the club 'officials', this again is spelt out very clearly in the HO rules as to what they require of a club.

It is not my job to try to interpret the HO rules only to work within them, it is bad enough having to sign you life away as it is without trying to be clever (because I'm not :D )

If we get a 'blind' application as you ask, we have to look hard and assess the shooter during their probationary period, which requires one on one with a senior member or instructor. If a full member or club official is willing to sponsor the new shooter at the end then all is OK.

Regardles of any of this no one can just 'turn up' unless you're running an open day which in itself has a bunch of 'strings' attached.

Brgds Terry

If we get a 'blind' application as you ask, we have to look hard and assess the shooter during their probationary period, which requires one on one with a senior member or instructor. If a full member or club official is willing to sponsor the new shooter at the end then all is OK.

Regardles of any of this no one can just 'turn up' unless you're running an open day which in itself has a bunch of 'strings' attached.

Brgds Terry

Terry - this is more or less what we do, except the 'assessment' is made BEFORE becoming a probationary member. During the probationary period, we try and see as much of the applicant as possible, give him/her a firearms safe-handling course etc. our NRA approved Probationary Course also includes short written test.

Vince

Vince,

Pretty much same-same, I wrote a more applicable probationary course (putting in things like the 4 golden rules etc. :o ) and our own written test. This was submitted to the NRA for 'approval' and adopted by our club.

Agree on the safety side of things, personnaly I find the firearms handling at Bisley pretty *iss poor.

So long as what any club does stands audit then's all's fine at the end of the day.

Terry

Sorry to hijack this thread but its kinda similar,

I'm a member of a club and I also have some family owned land I can shoot on and i have all the necessary on my license.

Now as I understand it you can legally shoot a landowners gun without a license as long as you are within sight and sound of the landowner or his agent (hence stalking with estate rifles).

So its my uncle who owns the land , but my mother has a small % share of the land as well.

Could I take my son out and let hin use my HMR under the landowner clause (as its family land) . He can use my uncles 7mm rem mag with no license as long as my uncle is there , but can I take him rabbiting with the hmr on the same land??

I find the law very frustrating and confusing to say the least

regards

Andy.

Archived